Valve Reversing Accidental Steam Bans

Everson

Modern Warfare 2 users who were banned due to a false positive from VAC getting free Left 4 Dead 2 for their trouble.

If you own the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, you may have found yourself banned from Steam due to a technical glitch. Thousands of users were affected by the problem, which prompted Valve founder Gabe Newell to issue a formal apology. In a message to those affected, Newell said that the glitch occurred due to a "combination of conditions" that occurred while Steam was updating the disk image of Modern Warfare 2.

The problem caused Valve's anti-cheat program to erroneously detect that a cheat was active, resulting in some 12,000 accidental bans over the course of two weeks.

The bans have now been reversed, and Valve has sent out free copies of Left 4 Dead 2 to those affected.

"This was our mistake," Newell wrote, "and I apologize for any frustration or angst it may have caused you.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180590

[*]

Goddamn this is brilliant.

Posted: 23 hours ago by thisdustin

I mean, of course I'm impressed that Valve is giving out a kickass game to make up for their mistake, but they're also adding 24,000 players to a game whose popularity is waning. These guys are almost as smart as Steve Jobs.

]

QFMFT

that is two games whose numbers need help

Edited by HSMagnet