Question

Yourself

I was just wondering what scripts are considered illegal and legal on most servers. Possibly some examples if you could? This would just help to clear up some things within clan. 180 script? yes or no? i play on places that allow and that dont. But thats just one example on a script im wondering about.

Scripts are allowed, as long as they do not go out-side of the anti-cheat config cvar ranges, and pb's cvar ranges.

A 180 script is of little use anyways, more often than not, it just screws up your aim. As far as I know, the 180 script is not considered a cheat, but I don't have the final word on that.

Iam old school ....dont like scripts if you cant do it with your fingers ....dont do it :lol:

I'm with you. I play with the stock config, save adding a few binds like /kill

These guys that just have to mess with FOV and mouse sense other than what the game settings allow always find I can still put up stiff competition for them.

Feels good to know that I'm not the only old-schooler out there.

lol i dont use scripts either, we are just trying to set standards for our clan lol. im just trying to see if there are general rules and said 180 script specifically cause i know some places allow and some don't. w00t for old-school.

only script I would ban a person for is (sniper) no recoil script.

and anyone who tells me they dont work in et can die in a fire cuz i know they work i've tested em out.

all other scripts nothing within the game variables that will give a person an advantage..

I do however always set time nudge to BE 0 anyone with a negative time nudge gets kicked off the server. those players can whine and go elsewhere for all i care..

At -=DM=-, no scripts that affect direct game play are allowed.We are all old schoolers. Like K.C., we have nudge set to zero and your bob's can not be zeroed out. We insist on default and stock settings. Even if PB allows zero bob, we do not. a recoil script will get you banned. But, like stated most scripts are not illegal. it is up to the server. They only script I have is one to adjust brightness in game. Only four levels, all within tolerance.

Well i have a 180 script bound that's completely compliant with all cvar checks...but I find myself hardly ever using it, BUT it does prove useful if you use a very low mouse sensitivity which i have...just makes turning back around a bit quicker, but if you have a normal mouse sense I would see no reason to have one.

If pbbans or punksbusted or a similar organization decided to peg it as a cheat, I would have no problems removing it, but I personally don't see it as a cheat because it doesn't give you an advantage over everyone else. I basically use it so I can use the low mouse sense that I like, but still turn around as fast as everyone else so I don't end up getting back raped while trying to make my low sensitivity turn around...I don't really know anyone who can actually say "you turning around that fast with such a low sensitivity is cheating"...come on

However like deadmilkmen was saying, norecoil scripts and things like that should not be tolerated. Norecoil would give you an advantage over other players and should be considered a cheat. Timenudgers should also be kicked imo. I really don't think that "how stock" you play has any baring on how "old school" you are. People have been tweaking settings since the release of the game -- I have. It started because I had a terrible computer at the time and had to turn the gfx way down in order to get smooth gameplay...even when I got a better computer I used the same config because I was then accustomed to playing like that....What I'm getting at here, Yourself, is it's all a matter of personal preference...what scripts do YOU think are cheating...that's all that really matters on your server.

Edited by Makaveli

Well im pretty old-school maself, although thats due to me not really knowing anything about what will change what and what it will even do :lol: anyhoo i also believe that for the most part if you do really much of ANYTHING to try to make yourself "better" then anyone without just gaining real skill then your a noob in my book. But i also have a friend and know a bunch of poeple who actualy do that, but the thing is they do it on purpose because if they didnt tweak their game it wouldnt run well at all because of crappy computers or other reasons. Which annoys me as a good friend of mine has an enemy who somehow got a hold of his config and plastered it all over his website saying this config is filled with all kinds of things to make him better then everyone else. The main problem with that is id say nearly half of all ET users wouldnt understand anything that was written their except a few obvious things, so some poeple have tended to believe someone who doesnt know wth he is talking about in the first place. Screwy no? :lol:

im not using any special scripts either... only binds that do /!listplayers and stuff, to get my admin work alittle easier...

i have my sensetivity on 10.5, i dont need a 180 turn script, i can do a 360 turn alot faster :)

I cant help but chuckle @ this debate .... is a 180 script okay . Yeh sure is the server your playing on allows it .

I like the roundabout argument that it allows someone to play with real LOW sensitivity but thats isnt an advantage over other players .... Okay make your sensitivity higher then or get back raged cause you cant turn around :) .Players have there sens very low to aim better/make more head shots/be more consistent. However saying this it is allowed on our server and i know players that use a 180 turn script ,I really enjoy trying to wind them up at silly oclock in the morning about how lame a 180 turn script is .Is a 180 any lamer than my fast arty script , spawn selector ,class selector ,... Doubt it really . Do any of these scripts help you gain an advantage .. Of course they do otherwise they wouldn't get used . BUT it depends on where who you are playing . Other experienced players will have tweeked configs all available selectors and timers especially in competitions . A debate over tweek v cheating is a massive can of worms . As the standard game cvars are changeable eg scripts and tweeks allowed then it isnt cheating as it is available to everyone ? maybe .. except all those players that cant even write a cfg. :) So whats Allowable is up to the server you play on .... Maybe.

You don't really have to be able to write a config script these days. Google will net you a half-dozen or more hits on just that topic alone. On my forums, there's an entire section devoted to scripting tweaks for the game. All you have to do is be able to copy and paste, to insert any single one of them into your config, or create an autoexec.cfg.

Bearing in mind, not all scripts work with all mods. Most of them are designed around the etpro cvars, and certain cvars won't work with etpub, or noquarter, or jaymod, so more often than not, the scripts need to be tweaked to work with a given mod.

I personally don't consider scripting to be a cheat. If someone is smart enough to figure out how to make something easier by altering their game config, so be it, providing the cvar changes fall within the range allowed by punkbuster and pbbans. If someone gets banned from my servers as a result of taking it to far, that's their problem.