PunkBuster coming to Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad

MaydaX

eb_ro2.png

Tripwire Interactive have announced that Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad will include both VAC and PunkBuster during a Teamspeak conference. Red Orchestra 2 support will be added to our systems upon release.

Our current plan has PB implemented in three stages.

*Stage 0: Off

*Stage 1: Access to the server screenshot functionality and streaming bans

*Stage 2: Standard PB protection that WILL NOT interfere with Steam (and the overlay)

*Stage 3: Full PB that WILL (most likely) kick for the steam overlay

Server admins can work with these to decide what anti cheat environment works best for their server. And players will be able to filter for those settings as well to find servers that fit their preferences.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=754176&postcount=45

Account signatures have been added.

mdx_game_ro2.png

pbb_dark_game_ro2.png

• Upvote 1

This is the first game (That I know of) to use both VAC and PunkBuster. I'm very happy that Tripwire decided to use both because I know the competitive community prefers using PunkBuster because of the additional functionality and streaming. Tripwire has gained a lot of my respect for listening to competitive gamers and PC gamers in general.

Lets hope other developers that favor VAC will see the light and offer players a choice in anti-cheat.

I agree with AcE. Is it wise having two different anti-cheats for the game as it may overload and lag the servers? I believe that you will be able to choose what you want activated at that time. You can't have both enabled at the same time, I think.

On a side note, I like what I see so far with these features:

- RO TV 2.0 – a fully featured spectator mode (1st, 3rd and freecam) for broadcasting and moviemaking

- SDK – full Software Development Kit and mapping tool out of the box

- Demo Recording – fully supported, to allow for immediate inclusion intournaments, LANs etc

- LAN Support – the game is LAN friendly and features LAN specific functionality. TWI also plan to sponsor LANs financially for HoS

- Custom Server Configs – Server configs are fully customizable, so rulesets areeasily created for organizations like ESL, Clanbase, eSports Portal, etc.

- Fully Modifiable Gameplay – A host of variables controllable server side with abespoke server tool, to ensure balanced and fair play. This includes weapons,classes, game types, gameplay elements and scoring elements – back to the good old days!

- Client Optimization – Your own preferences are fully adjustable, including fullkey bind, HUD configuration etc

- 10 Maps on release – 64 player maps which can scale down for smaller team countsi.e. 5v5, 8v8 etc.

- Teamwork Based – Team play is integral to winning!

- 6 Gameplay Modes – Including Territory, Countdown and Firefight… Conquest, Countdown and TDM!

- Squad Leaders – Spawn on your SL just like Battlefield…

• Upvote 1

I agree with AcE. Is it wise having two different anti-cheats for the game as it may overload and lag the servers? I believe that you will be able to choose what you want activated at that time. You can't have both enabled at the same time, I think.

If I recall VAC is very resource light. I don't think I've ever read about VAC causing lag. Tripwire gave me some basics of how it would work but I can't speak about that right now.

My eyes are welling up with tears... Tears of joy that is. One of the things that bummed me out about this game before was the whole VAC thing. Game the FK on!!!!

I agree! I'm ecstatic!

If I recall VAC is very resource light. I don't think I've ever read about VAC causing lag. Tripwire gave me some basics of how it would work but I can't speak about that right now.

It would be, given that it hardly detects anything :P

The only truly effective anti cheat for any game in my opinion, is PB combined with a top notch, third party, streaming service.

That opinion is based purely on the tools that EvenBalance provide server admins to assist with cheat detection (MD5 scans / cvar scans / PBUCON etc)and what third party anti cheat sites have been able to provide their clientelle using said tools.

I dont know if RO2:HOS will be using a "modded" or "PB light" version of PB but its already encouraging to read that a PB Dev will be in the Tripwire studios next week specifically to iron out any problems with PB and steam overlay (long overdue that this issue was resolved once and for all)

Who knows, maybe Vac + PB + streaming will point the way for the future of anti cheat within the gaming world.

If anything its an innovative way of tackling cheating in MP games and for that alone Tripwire deserve a big pat on the back :clapsmiley:

As I've been playing Red Orchestra competitively for about 7 years. I can say that it's a game that's very well suited to competitive play. However its very different to a lot of other games so would require some adaptation time, but I think that most people can see the love (or mod the game to make it fit to their tastes).

Anyway this is great news for all pc gamers, as it's been a long time to see a true pc game come out, with a feature list to back it up.

• Upvote 1

Great news!

I prefer PB anyway and the admins that have the ability to stream their servers here will be much better than waiting 3 months for VAC to bring the ban hammer down.

I was reading your post here too MaydaX:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=53352

I think I've only ever had one problem with PB and that was the disallowed program/driver kick but other than that nothing as far as I'm aware yet I still read about a number of players who get kicked for the slightest thing and blame PB, cursing it to hell.

PB ftw!! :D

I think Tripwire have done EvenBalance a huge favour here by insisting on different PB version options (light/medium/heavy) to run alongside VAC.

If this scenario comes off it could lead to a resurgance of PB being shipped "in the box" with upcoming AAA game titles that would not normally have considered PB as an option for anti cheat.

All those game devs that insist they take anti cheat seriously will no longer be able to give just the VAC option and not be seen as hypocritical, and server admins will be able to stream their servers and see for themselves how effective a streaming service can be :)

I always see a lot of whines on how heavy handed PB is with its various kicks.

9 times out of 10 its down to a client error (network/firewall settings etc) and its amazing how trouble free your PB experience can be if you run pbsetup.exe prior to every gaming session.

I truly wish Tripwire the best of luck with RO2:HOS and hopefully they will see a big financial reward for their efforts when the game goes retail, they are already kudos millionaires in my book :P

• Upvote 1

As has been pointed out we take the cheating threat very seriously, and have seen several games tank in the past year not because they were bad games (some were very enjoyable), but because their multiplayer environment was destroyed within weeks by cheaters.

We have listened to our community and others about what they want from an anti cheat environment and with that in mind we designed our current plan.

*VAC will be available for all servers and turned on by default.

We know some have had (and some still do have) problems with Punk Buster and with that in mind we are working with Even Balance to address that situation. Our current plan has PB implemented in three stages.

*Stage 0: Off

*Stage 1: Access to the server screenshot functionality and streaming bans

*Stage 2: Standard PB protection that WILL NOT interfere with Steam (and the overlay)

*Stage 3: Full PB that WILL (most likely) kick for the steam overlay

Server admins can work with these to decide what anti cheat environment works best for their server. And players will be able to filter for those settings as well to find servers that fit their preferences.

But remember, the greatest tool against cheaters is an active community both reporting cheaters (to Steam with the built in report function, and PB Bans) as well as forwarding any cheats they can get their hands on to any of the parties involved (ourselves which is preferable as we can get it to all the others quickly, EvenBalance and the VAC Team).

Add to all these anticheat options the probability of a mostly adult player base, and you have the makings for a pretty solid, cheat-free gaming environment. Most of the younger crowd, with the exception of some of the more mature younger guys, will be off to MW3 land and leave us to actually enjoy a gaming night without so much hacking worries. This, in itself, is a breath of fresh air. More proof that the universe has an intelligent creator and that Darwin was off his rocker.

wow!

Never saw this coming... Fantastic news for tw fans. + features deserving of a PC game.

To me, having run my first VAC server w/ Blops, I'd hope to say both Eb & VAC are equally 'effective'. With both, I ended up w/ hacks on my server. At least w/ PB, I can check a player through Pbbans. Guess sometimes ya got to try something new to appreciate what you have.

Now, if they could only fix the effing screenshots! :P

butt

darwin > IC

eb_ro2.png

Tripwire Interactive have announced that Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad will include both VAC and PunkBuster during a Teamspeak conference. Red Orchestra 2 support will be added to our systems upon release.

Its wonderful news. Quite timely too. PB & PBBANS has always been a great combo.

Its wonderful news. Quite timely too. PB & PBBANS has always been a great combo.

Hey Mike, nice to see you over here visiting... Spent many an hour over at your site back in the day. Nice to see you in position for RO2 when it gets released. Lets hope it isn't a disappointment.

We are glad to see you like our Anti Cheat setup. I'm around to answer any RO 2: HOS related questions.

Hi Yoshiro, glad you took the time and trouble to make your way over here :)

Its great to see a new game deliver all the "bells and whistles" one expects from a pc game(I truly thought that those days had passed us by) :)

The anticheat options (VAC / 3 types of PB / Streaming) within the game, have set a precedent within the gaming community, and I wish you every success for the innovative, proactive stance you have taken re AC options for RO2:HOS.

I know MaydaX is itching to get started on making the PBBans streaming side of things the "walk in the park" it should be for prospective new streamers :P

If anything crops up we will be sure to give you a heads up well in advance of the planned release date.

Now .... if only more game devs / community managers follow your lead we might actually be able to make a positive contribution to the success of newly released games by delivering a top notch anti cheat streaming service on day1 of release :)