PB support discontinued for Quake Wars

MaydaX

EvenBalance has dropped support for Quake Wars. The Quake Wars section on the EB website has been removed.

Streaming support will continue for the time being.

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/quake-wars-windows-file65.html

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/quake-wars-linux-file66.html

EvenBalance has dropped support for Quake Wars. The Quake Wars section on the EB website has been removed.

Streaming support will continue for the time being.

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/quake-wars-windows-file65.html

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/quake-wars-linux-file66.html

after getting my pc running again after almost a year in hopes of playing quake wars, this is telling me its not going to let me now? keep getting kicked for corrupt or mismatched pb client files (8BB6) after 2 mins and says no packet flow. am i doomed to not being able to play on punkbuster servers with my old clan and friends? any help would be much appreciated as i have looked forward to playing after almost a year. thanks!

• 1 month later...

1. go to games /pb folder, create a text-file named pbcl.cfg , file contents:

//
// filename: pbcl.cfg -- goes to game's /pb/
//
pb_MsgPrefix "^5PunkBuster Client"
pb_Sleep 500
pb_LogToFile 1
pb_SsLog 1
pb_SsSave 1
PB_LogMD5Tool 1
pb_Security 0 // allow pb-update downloads from ANY (game-)server

Note for Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users :
Please note that Windows Vista and Windows 7 stores the logs and other PB files outside the game folder commonly located at:
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\\pb\

You can enter this to view the PunkBuster working folder for the current user and select the game you wish to setup logging for:
%USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\PunkBuster\

or
%LOCALAPPDATA%\PunkBuster\

this enables client logging as well; to retrieve information like GUID, exact kick reasons and violation numbers etc. refer to:
/pb/pbcl.log
for further information see: http://www.pbbans.com/info-center-clientlog.html

2. update client pb using this workaround, contains old Backup of 'pbgame.htm' for legacy games : LEAKED!
pbsetup+legacy.rar

3. check this out http://www.pbbans.com/info-center-pbsvc.html as well.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Benway the instructions that you posted worked for me!

I just moved to a new rig with win7 and had not played et:qw for a LONG time. Knowing that pb is using a location in the user files on win7 was the missing piece for me. Plus the download...etqw_win32.zip

;) happy again :clapsmiley:

Edited by inaminit
  • Upvote 1

Benway: Well I just installed windows7 (64bit) so I could have DirectX 10. But I have this same problem in ETQW with auto update or whatever.I tried to do what you said but I'm confused about locations. I could get PB to work, but then game would just freeze after showing: PBclient:PBA successfully loaded PBB. But that's beside the point. To give this a chance, I need to know:

1) is the cfg file required or just do logging... I guess it's required but it seemed to make PB work and then game crashed...

2) if so, do I put the cfg in the appdata PB folder or in the program files PB folder?

3) is this the way the cfg is supposed to look?:

pb_MsgPrefix "^5PunkBuster Client"

pb_Sleep 500

pb_LogToFile 1

pb_SsLog 1

pb_SsSave 1

PB_LogMD5Tool 1

pb_Security 0

4) when I run the legacy PBsetup, do I point it to here: C:\Program Files (x86)\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars,

or the appdata folder?(as in C:\Users\el_touristo_duo\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ETQW ). Does PBsetup create a new PB folder? I didnt think it was supposed to but obviously Im confused easily.

I applaud your help and knowledge, could you please be VERY specific for those of us that are not too good at such things?

I dont want to have to crank up an xp drive just to play QW!

Many thanks in advance!

also, what does inaminit refer to " Plus the download...etqw_win32.zip" ?

is there a 64 vers and is it helpful?

Edited by el_touristo_duo

one more little thing: when I run the pbsetup.exe in the pbsetup+legacy package, it only works in legacy the first time I run it.

The next time it shows only the current supported games list. so I delete the files and re-extract them to run it again.

Windows also gives me something I never saw in xp: a message about the program not installing correctly, and the option

to tell it that it did! lol

one more little thing: when I run the pbsetup.exe in the pbsetup+legacy package, it only works in legacy the first time I run it.

The next time it shows only the current supported games list. so I delete the files and re-extract them to run it again.

That is what discontiued support means; thus there is nothing to 'fix', it is a workaround.

Create two folders pbsetup_new (contains pbsetup.exe) pbsetup_legacy (contains legacy.rar, extract again if needed).

PBSetup.exe still works, but you will need an old backup copy of pbgame.htm to run it on legacy games

... and pbsetup will download a new pbgame.htm (w/h legacy games) each time it's run, so the procedure is abit fiddly, as on the next run legacy games are gone, so you have to start over from scratch and: delete pbgame.htm, copy/rename pbgame.htm.bak, restart pbsetup, use [Add Game] again; (PS: or backup/zip pbuser.htm once you added all legacy games)

• Upvote 1

- client logging is useful to trace errors, not more or less. So the Q would be: what is the kick reason when you connect to a server

- it does no harm to add and update both /pb locations in pbsetup+legacy

- common issue under vista/w7 is either the Game.exe or PnkBstrA.exe / PnkBstrB.exe are not running with admin rights. Google & Google

- ofc there are no working 64 bit versions for discontinued legacy games

if a game does not run w/h pb this will lead to nothing; i'd rather delete pb and get the game to run first, drivers, DX configuration etc.

• Upvote 2

thanks...games runs before I do anyting... it just kiks from the auto update issue. I get the same message everyone else does.

but if I try the fix, I can get it to where it seems to be trying to work PB. I get a couple of on screen PB messages the last one is usually

" PBclient:PBA successfully loaded PBB" (abbreviated) --then game hard crashes. thats why I asked where to put things,

because I put cfg in both pb folders...I was hoping maybe that caused crashes...just grasping...the really weird thing is that I seem

to still get kiked after I run pbsetup, but when I put in the cfg's I get the pb messages and the crashes. So that's why I also asked

if pbsetup is to be run in the main et folder ... C:\Program Files (x86)\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars, and maybe I should delete

the PB folder in there before I run pbsetup? many thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Sorry to ask but can anyone make a step by step or tutorial for PC dummies (political sciences graduate my case) to deal with this problem? I already download the "legacy" files but dont know what to do with after decompression. Do I have to replace the original PB files at the original PB folder at C: with the decompressed new ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

** As meanwhile EB master servers are offline for most legacy games, this will not work anymore **

---> use the game specific download of /pb

I already download the "legacy" files but dont know what to do with after decompression.

new version (all informations inside) ---> DL section

PBSetup for legacy games

AA2, BF1942, cysis, cysis wars, D3, ET, FFOW, FC2, q3, Q4, ETQW, MoHA, NfSPS, Prey, RtCW, RSR6, RSV, RSV2, SoF2, Wolf, Warock

This is a workaround to install the latest punkbuster update released for games with discontinued PunkBuster support

using the original tools and update resources released by http://www.evenbalance.com 2002-2011.

HowTo:

Extract the archive to any folder, change directory to the new folder (double-click folder_icon.gifpbsetup+legacy)

From there run pbsetup. Add the legacy game and the proper Game_Path (not! /pb), that is: where the Game.exe is.

To check the Game_Path just ALT+Return the Windows-Shortcut to the Game [copy+paste the 2nd line's "Execute in:" Value].

Then run menu item 'check for updates' and pbsetup will download the latest pb-update (*) to the proper /pb location(s).

Limitations:

pbsetup will download a new pbgame.htm without legacy games each time when it is run. Thus it is recommended to unpack the archive again from scratch if needed.

Disclaimer:

This is a workaround to install the latest punkbuster update released for games with discontinued punkbuster support

using the original tools and update resources released by http://www.evenbalance.com 2002-2011.

No fixes, updates or support will be delivered, this workaround is delivered as is.

(*) No warranty is given if or how long the download resources used to pb-update the listed games will stay available online.

** attachment removed (see caption) **

Edited by Benway
update: see caption
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I am sorry to grave dig this topic but I just started playing Quake wars again and it is not working. I keep getting kicked out after 2 minuts with this message :

Punkbuster kicked player "name" for 0 minutes...... Auto update failure.(A1313 C2.114) Error loading pbcl

I already downloaded pbsetup for legacy games and updated the game. That did not work. I downloaded files from evenbalance to manually update and that did not work. Also downloaded somebody elses pb map and placed it in my quake wars folder and still the same problem.

I hope somebody knows this problem and can help me out. I am really looking forward to play a game again :)

• 3 months later...

I am sorry to grave dig this topic but I just started playing Quake wars again and it is not working. I keep getting kicked out after 2 minuts with this message :

Punkbuster kicked player "name" for 0 minutes...... Auto update failure.(A1313 C2.114) Error loading pbcl

I already downloaded pbsetup for legacy games and updated the game. That did not work. I downloaded files from evenbalance to manually update and that did not work. Also downloaded somebody elses pb map and placed it in my quake wars folder and still the same problem.

I hope somebody knows this problem and can help me out. I am really looking forward to play a game again :)

Ive got the same problem. I just reinstalled ET:QW because it's the one game my dad will actually play, so I thought I'd play with him, but I keep on getting that same message (the Auto update failure. (A1313 C2.114 Error loading pbcl). I've tried reinstalling punkbuster, using the cfg that Benway made, replacing the actual punkbuster files, hell I even copied over all the ET:QW files from my dad's PC and replaced mine with them, both for the ETQW/pb/ files and the AppData/punkbuster/ETQW/pb/ files.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

but is this still working?

Linux version is working great. Unfortunately, I have no idea what with Windows version.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

At night our world has a different rhythm

it pulsates and smells dark
and the intimacy of unspoken longings ...
The wind blows the dreams again
and the melody is for restless thoughts
Edited by sicha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...