ETPub 0.8.1 + Omni-Bot 0.66

=BLACKWOLF=

I've posted on the matter before, but I've now pinpointed the cause of the problem.

If I run ETPub 0.7.2 with Omni-Bot 0.532, everything runs smoothly.

If I run ETPub 0.8.1 with Omni-Bot 0.66, it crashes regularly.

If I don't use bots with 0.8.1, it's fine. So, the problem's the bots.

I'd love to be able to use ETPub 0.8.1 and get spree sounds going, plus the improved antilag. However, this is not possible due to the constant crashes.

The ideal combination for me, would be ETPub 0.7.2, Omni-Bot 0.532 and etadmin_mod, but escaped turkey has prevented etadmin_mod from running since it causes duplicate proceses of etded.x86

Has anyone else attempted to run Omni-Bot 0.66 in Enemy Territory 2.55, and if so, have you experienced the same problem?

Thanks,

BlackWolf.

== SERVER INFO ==

Server info:

version = ET 2.55 linux-i386 Jun 24 2003 <------ Yeah, problems. Just after info if anyone else has had this before

ETPub version = 0.8.1

Omni-bot version = 0.66

I've posted on the matter before, but I've now pinpointed the cause of the problem.

If I run ETPub 0.7.2 with Omni-Bot 0.532, everything runs smoothly.

If I run ETPub 0.8.1 with Omni-Bot 0.66, it crashes regularly.

If I don't use bots with 0.8.1, it's fine. So, the problem's the bots.

I'd love to be able to use ETPub 0.8.1 and get spree sounds going, plus the improved antilag. However, this is not possible due to the constant crashes.

The ideal combination for me, would be ETPub 0.7.2, Omni-Bot 0.532 and etadmin_mod, but escaped turkey has prevented etadmin_mod from running since it causes duplicate proceses of etded.x86

Has anyone else attempted to run Omni-Bot 0.66 in Enemy Territory 2.55, and if so, have you experienced the same problem?

Thanks,

BlackWolf.

== SERVER INFO ==

Server info:

version = ET 2.55 linux-i386 Jun 24 2003

ETPub version = 0.8.1

Omni-bot version = 0.66

I've been recommending to people for quite awhile now not to attempt to run bots with ET 2.55. It seems to be asking for trouble. I have not seen anyone do it succesfully yet.

Is the only functionality you are wanting from etadmin_mod sprees?

Yeah it is. I used to run 0.7.2 and etadmin_mod, but the host stopped etadmin_mod from running:

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Enemy Territory Admin Mod No Longer Supported

Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 08:49:26 -0700

Reply-To: [email protected]

Organization: [email protected]

To: [email protected]

Dear Customer,

In order to optimize the scripting system to prevent duplicate processes

of etded.x86, we are dropping support for ET Admin Mod. Most customer

based Enemy Territory servers do not run it and it's a pain to get it

working properly without causing performance issues. We do support most

mods that use fs_game, -game, etc., but we will not support

modifications or scripts that run outside of the actual server binaries.

Thank you,

EscapedTurkey.com Billing and Support =)

http://www.escapedturkey.com/helpdesk

Omni-Bot 0.532 runs very smoothly in 2.55, and I've never had any problems with it. It appears to just be 0.66 causing problems.

Ideal combination for me therefore, would be ETPub 0.7.2, Omni-Bot 0.532, and etadmin_mod. But that ain't gonna happen.

So I'll either have to put up with frequent server crashes, or no spree sounds. Shame really, since I only need the bots to kick start the server after a quiet period. Within an hour after the daily restart the server's busy.

Yeah it is. I used to run 0.7.2 and etadmin_mod, but the host stopped etadmin_mod from running:

Omni-Bot 0.532 runs very smoothly in 2.55, and I've never had any problems with it. It appears to just be 0.66 causing problems.

Ideal combination for me therefore, would be ETPub 0.7.2, Omni-Bot 0.532, and etadmin_mod. But that ain't gonna happen.

So I'll either have to put up with frequent server crashes, or no spree sounds. Shame really, since I only need the bots to kick start the server after a quiet period. Within an hour after the daily restart the server's busy.

I should have stated the newer omnibots*. I was pretty sure at one time or another they worked. (I need sleep)

It's been a long time since I fooled around with it, but didn't WhaleClient have spree sounds built in? I'm pretty sure it did.

http://etserver.oc.edu/ETRedirect/etpub/wh...-1_4_beta1.html

Pretty sure that will be your best bet for etpub without etadmin_mod.

Edited by Chris64

Yeah I've tested WhaleClient before, but I wasn't over impressed. Since the pak's outdated, the client side prediction isn't up to the level that the ETPub client is. The double jump is also extremely choppy.

Since the crashes occur when the server goes from having no bots at all, to several at once, I've set minbots to '1'. Worth a shot I guess :D

I set that up at 2 pm (GMT) yesterday, and the server hadn't crashed at the server restart this morning (10 AM GMT).

It used to crash every 21 hours when a bot connected, which is weird. If I can just get it to last another 3 hours on top with this new method, I'll be happy.

If not, well it's back to 0.7.2 and no spree sounds until I can get the server popular enough to not need bots to kick-start it after a quiet period.

Maybe not......

-8<------- Crash Information ------->8-

Please forward to etpub mod team.

---------------------------------------

Version: etpub 0.8.1 Linux

Map: fueldump

Signal: Segmentation fault (11)

Siginfo: 0xffc4cfbc

Code: 1

Faulting Memory Ref/Instruction: 0x11c

DSO Information:

0xe66d3000 /lib/libnss_files.so.2

0xe638c000 /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory255/pb/pbsv.so

0xe6204000 /lib/libnss_dns.so.2

0xe61f1000 /lib/libresolv.so.2

0xe609d000 /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory255/pb/pbcls.so

0xe608e000 /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory255/pb/pbags.so

0xe2e32000 /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory255/etpub/qagame.mp.i386.so

0xe228f000 /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so

0xe2d79000 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

Stack frames: 13 entries

Backtrace:

(1) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN13ScriptManager11GetBotTableEPK6Client+0x1d) [0xe24ac4fd]

(2) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN13ScriptManager15ExecBotCallbackEP6ClientPKc+0x19) [0xe24ac6a9]

(3) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN7ET_Game6AddBotERKSsiiSs+0xa5) [0xe23e5e15]

(4) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN5IGame9cmdAddbotERKSt6vectorISsSaISsEE+0x362) [0xe2457c12]

(5) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN15CommandFunctorTI5IGameEclERKSt6vectorISsSaISsEE+0x2f) [0xe245a04f]

(6) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN15CommandReciever15DispatchCommandERKSt6vectorISsSaISsEE+0x3e) [0xe250c3fe]

(7) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN5IGame19CheckServerSettingsEv+0x67b) [0xe24536fb]

(8) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN5IGame10UpdateGameEv+0x23c) [0xe245215c]

(9) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_ZN12IGameManager10UpdateGameEv+0x37) [0xe245ceb7]

(10) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory260/omni-bot/omnibot_et.so(_Z9BotUpdatev+0x11) [0xe2473e91]

(11) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory255/etpub/qagame.mp.i386.so(Bot_Interface_Update+0x143) [0xe2f83abb]

(12) /home/david_barber1/enemy-territory255/etpub/qagame.mp.i386.so(vmMain+0x14a) [0xe2f01e96]

(13) ./etded.x86-david_barber1 [0x808680b]

-8<--------------------------------->8-

So yeah....0.7.2 it is.

Maybe not......

So yeah....0.7.2 it is.

Any reason not to go with jaymod? It has the sprees you want. I'm not sure which versions are compatible with which omnibot, but I'm sure you can find a working version that's semi-recent.

Yeah, 2.0.6 works in 2.55 with Omni-Bot 0.61. I have it on another server and it runs smoothly.

However, I wish to keep this particular server running ETPub. Jaymod hitboxes are a little too big for my liking.

Yeah, I'm picky like that :P

Was looking for the latest ETPub nightly to support Omni-bot 0.61. It supported spree sounds at least, even if not multikill sounds. However, I lost my copy of that a while ago and I'm pretty sure no-one still has it. Shame.

Thanks for your help,

BlackWolf.

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=

ETpub 0.8.1 supports spree's, multikills and death spree's, all with sounds.

check the documintation for settings.cfg (after the shurbbot documintation).

i wouldnt recommand runing the nightly ETpub 0.9.x, last time i tried it was full for bugs, not sure if its memmory leaks, but the cvars were resetting to defaults every round and stuff.

Yeah I can get 0.8.1 running fine. The problem is the newest Omni-Bots (0.66). Omni-Bot 0.66 crashes frequently, whereas Omni-Bot 0.532 does not.

In order to run the server without crashes, I have to run ETPub 0.7.2 to be able to use Omni-Bot 0.532.

ETPub 0.8.1 runs great. Spree sounds, multikill sounds etc, but it only supports Omni-Bot 0.66, which cause frequent server crashes.

etpub 0.8.x with omni 0.66 ran fine on my server.

maybe its time to move to 2.60 <_<

I ran my server in 2.6 for a month. However, it spent a lot of time with only 1-2 players on it.

Back in 2.55, it's popular again! 1pm - 3am, my server hits 32 players regularly. Around 7am, it has about 2-3 players. If I ditch the bots, it stays empty. If I have bots, they 'kick-start' the server so to speak, and from 10am to 12 midday, teh population slowly picks up to be full for hours at a time again.

I hope to be able to ditch the bots eventually, which should be, IDK, another 3 months perhaps? The server's become much more popular since I upgraded it to 32 slots only a couple of weeks ago.

The problem occurs when the server slowly loses its players in the early hours of the morning (5am onwards). As soon as it's time for the bots to join. Boom, it crashes.

However, if the increase in population keeps up at this rate, we should be good to go soon B)

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=

IMO people have problems with 2.6 because they need to install patches and stuff (and the 2.60b is even worse).

need to post a link for ET 2.60b FULL install everywhere.

otherwise i cant see why players dont like 2.6, the mod is the same => the gameplay is the same.

just less bugs and exploits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello BlackWolf

I also have crashes with ET2.55 and OmniBot 0.66 (on Windows XP) for a home dedicated Internet server (for my friends, my son and me). It crash sometimes one hour after launch, or 12hours.

When I've discovered a patch 1.01 for ET2.55 server, I thought it was THE solution ! No, even in "2.56", still crashes ...

Of course, when patching 2.6b, server never crash (more than 24h) but just one or two human players come to play (I read you have the same pb of lack of visits in 2.6b)

So, another idea was: let's try an other bot mod !

Yesterday, uninstall+clean install with 2.56 and FritzBot ... crash comes just after warmup !!! (and no crash in 2.6b)

So, Black, my question is: Did you manage a mod bot with 2.55 please ?

Thanks, $mart

Posted Image

Edited by smart

Yeah I managed to do it. Combinations which work:

- ETPub 0.7.2 + Omni-Bot 0.532

- Jaymod 2.0.6 + Omni-Bot 0.61

- NoQuarter 1.1.1 + Omni-Bot 0.61 <------ Not tried this one, but I presume it will work fine. Minor NQ bugs only will cause problems.

I like ETPub myself, but 0.7.2 does not offer spree sounds. So, I moved to another game server host (http://www.emsgaming.com/) and setup etadmin_mod. It works fantastic! 2.55, ETPub, Omni-Bots and spree sounds, all crash free.

Hope this helps you.

Yeah I managed to do it. Combinations which work:

- ETPub 0.7.2 + Omni-Bot 0.532

- Jaymod 2.0.6 + Omni-Bot 0.61

- NoQuarter 1.1.1 + Omni-Bot 0.61 <------ Not tried this one, but I presume it will work fine. Minor NQ bugs only will cause problems.

I like ETPub myself, but 0.7.2 does not offer spree sounds. So, I moved to another game server host (emsgaming.com) and setup etadmin_mod. It works fantastic! 2.55, ETPub, Omni-Bots and spree sounds, all crash free.

Hope this helps you.

OK thx - I will try 0.61 with ET 2.56 (no ETPub or Jaymod - just ETmain in my case)

(I am a beginner with ET)

Bye

66.55.149.73:27960 Jaymod 2.1.7 and omni .66 on ET 2.55

Thats my server btw, I had a problem with the bots crashing the server during intermission. After every attempt to fix the problem it was still there until I did this

setl g_intermissionReadyPercent  "70"
setl g_intermissionTime		  "30"
It seems that if I set lock the intermission time then it all worked for some reason

66.55.149.73:27960 Jaymod 2.1.7 and omni .66 on ET 2.55

Thats my server btw, I had a problem with the bots crashing the server during intermission. After every attempt to fix the problem it was still there until I did this

setl g_intermissionReadyPercent  "70"<BR>setl g_intermissionTime		  "30"
It seems that if I set lock the intermission time then it all worked for some reason

Hi - I do not see any cfg files with this variable (maybe Jaymod file) I just use ETmain + OmniBot.

For info - I've tried yesterday with OB v0.5.3.2 - and did crash after 1 hour (5 bots Axis + 5 bots Allies + 2 or 3 human during this "happy" hour). I really think to forgive Bot Server - because due to all the tries I make, I am loosing my rating and play less skilly <== is this admin syndrom :) ?

New info : new try with Bobot mod (french one - no waypointing but neuronal research). The crash appears exactly like with OmniBot (after the connection of some new player randomize) - I post about it a new thread.

Bye (and see you on ET)

Edited by smart

• 1 month later...

Take it from me if you plan on going to .60b then you may want to go ETPRO otherwise you will get no respect. All 2.60b clans/players think they are the best thing that ever graced the ET scene. If you go ETPRO with 2.60b then you will have the respect of most clans/players. Jaymod,ETPUB and other mods are concidered non PRO. So they just think you are a joke. These are my observations use them as you will.

Take it from me if you plan on going to .60b then you may want to go ETPRO otherwise you will get no respect. All 2.60b clans/players think they are the best thing that ever graced the ET scene. If you go ETPRO with 2.60b then you will have the respect of most clans/players. Jaymod,ETPUB and other mods are concidered non PRO. So they just think you are a joke. These are my observations use them as you will.

I fixed the problem in 2.55 by using an older version of etpub.

What you explained in your post is one of the main reasons I don't play etpro very often. I love the mod, and the skilled opposition, but a lot of the players seem to be big-headed and cocky. I generally enjoy pubbing in 2.55. It's generally more fun and light hearted with less emphasis on the 'everything but etpro sucks' line.

I play for fun mainly, and it's not very often I go into competition play / box servers. When I do go into a 2.6b 'pro' server, it's mostly just a lot of skilled players bitching at each other about topics such as 'omfg you suxxorz'. Shame, really, 'cause etpro is a very good mod :(

From time to time I play on the etpub 2.55 box servers and it's better IMO. There seem to be less bitchy people, although there are still some. It always seems to me that there's always a lot of drama on the so called 'pro' servers.

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=

You prolly play on my box server :) bpc|box We still have the drama cause there are known hackers that come to play and just plain cant shutup. We are visited by 2.60b players alot And i usually mute them after their first 2.55 comment. I cant stand the drama and will not put up with it. :)

We run ETPUB 0.8.1 and its stable. We choose not to use the bots. Most AI bots are retarded any way cause they only have a set waypoint. and its mostly distracting to watch them wander around and spin in circles. However setting them to be less skilled is kinda fun just to get high kill ratios. But i think they are useless and they hinder a great mod. Kinda like Noquarter is a modified etpub. They took some Jaymod stuff and thrrew it into etpub and made a more annoying mod then Jaymod. I didnt think that was even possible. But someone did it.

Edited by bpcZoD

Yeah I frequent it quite often. Drama's usually around but not on the level of that in a 2.6b 'pro' server.

Yup, etpub 0.8.1's stable in 2.55. It's just Omni-Bot 0.66 that causes the problems. As for not running bots on a box server; I couldn't agree more. Bots would probably put the more skiller players off.

My server's a pub server, so that's not as much of a problem for me. I've worked hard on it and now, bots are only needed for 2 hours per day in the early hours when the US players have gone to bed and the Euro's still aren't online.

Seems to be a memory leak somewhere though; 4% mem slowly escalates to 80% over a period of 10 days if not restarted. Luckily my server's the only one on the box atm so I don't have to worry about it using resources which would otherwise be used by other servers :P