EA restructures Battlefied: Heroes pricing

MaydaX

EA restructures Battlefied: Heroes pricing; fans enraged

EA and DICE have dropped a bomb on fans of Battlefield: Heroes: the price for items using in-game currency has been jacked up, while the price for funds purchased using real cash has been lowered. The net change? Gamers now must pay to play with the same weapons they've been long enjoying for free, or they have to grind for hours to earn them. Heroes has become something it used to mock.

It seems gamers simply weren't spending enough money, though, as a recent price restructuring destroys the ability to play without spending real money. The cost of all items in terms of the free VP has been increased substantially, while the cost of items in "BattleFunds," which you buy with real money, has been decreased. In other words, it's now impossible to earn or keep decent equipment simply by playing; you're going to need to get out the checkbook to stay competitive on the servers. The game's player base is, to put it mildly, enraged.
That sort of reasoning is repeated over and over throughout the thread. People want to play, but the new pricing means that in order to be effective in the game you either have to play for hours upon hours a day, or pay money. The "free" nature of the game has been eliminated; as configured now with the current pricing, it simply won't be fun unless you pay for items.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/12/ea-restructures-battlefied-heroes-pricing-fans-enraged.ars

It's a warzone on BFH forums.

that was a no-brainer though

it "had" to happen

either that or every semi-flat surface is turned into a billboard

i really tried to like that game

played the beta way more than it deserved

you had to play all the time to earn decent weapons anyway

I hope every one is ready for the NEW way games are played. I don't mind paying for a game. I don't mind having to tweak servers, admin them, and basically babysit. I can now even buy a headset for $20.00 because hearing, tactical playing, and most generally skill are no longer required. I am oldschool Americas Army where once you completed all training it took many months if not years to rank to a 100 honor. Now in todays games it takes 5 hours. Sad but I can no longer justify spending large amounts of money on a system only to meet 12 year old console players that lack true skill and honor. Those days are gone and I feel it is time to move on and waste less time on our forums and servers. Maybe time for Juliet Childs Cooking 101. Sure seems things have changed; So sad but reality.

• Upvote 1

I hope every one is ready for the NEW way games are played. I don't mind paying for a game. I don't mind having to tweak servers, admin them, and basically babysit. I can now even buy a headset for $20.00 because hearing, tactical playing, and most generally skill are no longer required. I am oldschool Americas Army where once you completed all training it took many months if not years to rank to a 100 honor. Now in todays games it takes 5 hours. Sad but I can no longer justify spending large amounts of money on a system only to meet 12 year old console players that lack true skill and honor. Those days are gone and I feel it is time to move on and waste less time on our forums and servers. Maybe time for Juliet Childs Cooking 101. Sure seems things have changed; So sad but reality.

i am sad to say that you are probably correct on much of this

everything is being geared to the casual player with mounds of disposable income and no idea how the game experience should/could be