EA Origin client adding built-in livestreaming in new update

Twiebie

Electronic Arts is partnering with popular livestreaming service Twitch to make it easier for Origin users to broadcast live gameplay from their PC. The next version of EA's Origin client will introduce built-in broadcasting tools, making it possible to stream live gameplay directly to a user's Twitch channel.

"With just a few clicks, you can broadcast your game session, from Origin, directly to your Twitch account," writes Twitch community manager Jared Rea. "All you'll need to do is sign into your Twitch account while you're in Origin and you're ready to broadcast."

Twitch functionality in Origin will be released as part of an upcoming beta, with wider availability "in the coming weeks," Rea writes.

On the official Origin website, EA's Thierry Nguyen details how Twitch livestreaming will work from within the Origin client. New to the Origin UI is a "Twitch Video Broadcast" button, as is a "Broadcast" tab in settings where players can customize streaming options.

Nguyen writes that the Origin Twitch integration will roll out worldwide "in the coming days" to those who opted in to beta updates then more widely "shortly thereafter."

Twitch recently announced a livestreaming partnership with Sony Online Entertainment to add integrated broadcasting to online shooter Planetside 2.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/7/3615898/ea-origin-client-adding-built-in-livestreaming-through-twitchtv-in

streaming-dash_en_580.jpg

camera-icon_en_580.jpg

http://www.origin.com/us/news/whats-coming-in-the-next-origin-update

• Upvote 1

So they finally caught up with xfire that has had this function for years now :clapsmiley:

(I would have said Steam as well but its been a while since I've used that and h ave no idea what it can do these days.)

What's the point of using this live streaming if I got my xfire to work in BF3?

I think you can answer that yourself after the Origin update so you can compare the two.

I've never used Xfire for streaming. I did use XSplit and it wasn't too bad, but the free version has very low audio quality and doesn't allow HD resolutions.

Well one, Xfire user base is pretty dead. FLOT members use to have it running all the time, hell we we're even a featured community in one of their newsletters way back when.

These days, we maybe have one user that actually keeps it running, Steam took over the majority of it's functions, with a better UI to boot. Xfire feels incredibly dated these days. Its age shows.

Anyways, I welcome both these new features into Origin.

Edited by Crotan

I think you can answer that yourself after the Origin update so you can compare the two.

I've never used Xfire for streaming. I did use XSplit and it wasn't too bad, but the free version has very low audio quality and doesn't allow HD resolutions.

I play BF3 on my laptop. 1.6 GHz Quad Core i7, Mobile 5870, 6 GB of RAM, 1600x900 res + 1920x1080, plenty of HDD space. My secondary monitor is my 32 inch 720p tv. I have no need for live streaming in BF3.

Sony's Planetside 2 has the twitch live stream built into it and to works really good. Can't even tell when it on. Has a key bind to turn off and on. Video quality seems good too.

• 2 weeks later...

I set this up last night, pretty cool. not a fluid as Xfire yet. looks like they are ironing out the software. there are alot of ADS if you don't buy a personal or premium account buy through Origin you don't have to download the software. serious lag when you broadcast ...

http://www.twitch.tv/34t3r

Edited by eat5

Hmm I'm investigating but the live streams I broadcast via the origin beta don't seem to show up in my Past Broadcasts on twitch.tv like they would from Xsplit. They show up in the live feed on my channel no problem but not after the fact.

Though I'm using the "Automatically broadcast when starting a game" setting. So I'm wondering if manually starting makes any difference.

EDIT: it doesn't. So apparently the beta is only good for live streams, but they won't save to your twitch past broadcasts! Major letdown. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT EDIT: it's not just me

"Archiving from Origin is currently disabled while we try to get a sense for the load we're generating. We're working with Twitch to try to enable it as soon as we can. We're just launching this service and want to focus on broadcasting first, then on archiving. I think the same thing happens with Planetside 2."
Edited by Crotan