Day Z

xX_Renegade_Xx

Just curious if anyone is playing this? It's spreading like wildfire and it's very good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Q8c8jnL3s

You play as a survivor but kill another player and you become a bandit, it's up to you how you play, team up or become a bandit and stalk other survivors, loot their body for food/water/weapons, etc.

Lots of views but no replies so you're either all in-game playing or haven't heard about it so let me fill you in.

It's a mod for ARMA II and you need Combined Ops to play it (that's ARMA II and Operation Arrowhead), this is currently number 3 on the Steam top seller list and the player count last night for steam was just under 6,400.

You start with a few supplies, bandages, pistol, a little food and water, the object is to survive, you can go into some buildings which have loot, this could be new weapons, food, bigger backpack, etc.

You don't have to worry about zombies only, other players are also a threat, bandits especially, a player becomes a bandit if they kill another player in self defence or just to steal their equipment, you can sometimes meet another survivor but that can also cause problems, can you trust them? Will they shoot you in the back the first chance they get? etc.

This is why the game is so great, you can play how you want, team up with other survivors and go hunting bandits, team up with other bandits and go hunting survivors or go lonewolf and see how long you can survive, according to the devs not many people have survived over 4 hours.

The mod is currently in alpha and is a little buggy but once you're on a server it is fantastic, the atmosphere alone is what makes the game for me, imagine S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and ARMA II rolled into one and that's Day Z.

i'm watching You from shadows ;)

Hey, you're a dev, you're not allowed to stalk me outside the game :P

Good to see you here Dwarden :D

Does it retain ARMA's realistic gameplay? Because I couldn't get past the tutorial in that. Too annoying :D

Loved ARMA, couldn't get past the tutorial in ARMAII due to incessant crash to desktop (even after replacing entire system).

Question.

Does it retain ARMA's realistic gameplay? Because I couldn't get past the tutorial in that. Too annoying :D

In a way yes, you won't be giving squad commands unless you happen to team up with other survivors or bandits. You start the game as a lone survivor with a few supplies, from there it's up to you how you play.

I had a guy in-game last night asking if anyone wanted to team up, some players do but you have to be careful too as bandits can use that as bait and lure you in for a kill or straight into a trap with other bandits, at the moment I'm solo and just looking for supplies/weapons.

I seen one survivor last night and tracked him for about 20 minutes to see what he was up to, looked like he was trying to get the parts for a vehicle as he stayed with this vehicle for a while so I presume he was making a mental list of what he needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't see them doing a sale at the moment as it's still the top seller on Steam but the summer sales are here soon so maybe they'll reduce the price a little then.

late to the party

waiting for steam to have arma ii and the Xpac on sale

really interested though

Steam summer sale is coming, I'm waiting for the sale and i'll probably get DayZ. I'm not a big fan of arma, but DayZ looks amazing. I read a new article at http://www.pcgamer.com/ that the guy who created the mod, got full support from the Devolper to refine it. Looks like DayZ may become a standalone game which will be amazing.

Edited by Andyshole

• 3 weeks later...

It's a great mod but it's so hard. If I live long enough to even find a weapon I'm happy. I haven't played in a couple of weeks so I haven't seen the issues that the 1.7.2 build brought along with it

oh i can consistently find gear, i just hate randomly falling through the floor of a deerstand and breaking a bone or be lowcrawling and break a bone or have a player/zombie spawn behind me etc

i had a 49 kill streak one time

arma2oa20120714232025.png

i finally died from starvation.....

It is by beans alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the tomato sauce that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by beans alone I set my mind in motion.
Rogan

• 2 months later...

The hacking in this mod is so rampant, you will probably die sooner from being teleported into the air and falling than from another player. I've never seen a game that the cheating is so frequent and blatant, it's hardly playable. The Battleeye Anti-Cheat is worthless. It's such a great game but, but the devs don't care at all due to it being an "Alpha".

Ridculous.

as i understand it, the engine was built around the client being able to script literally everything with no restrictions.

trying to restrict the scripting after the fact appears to be very difficult. :crazy:

• 3 years later...

http://www.pcgamesn.com/dayz/dayz-directx-11-enfusion-engine-preview-shows-improved-rain-and-rendering-effects

DayZ's lead producer Brian Hicks has just given us our first proper look at the upcoming Enfusion engine update for the zombie survival game, which will add DirectX 11 support and a whole host of rendering improvements.

While the video isn't final - and according to Hicks' it was recorded at a weird resolution - you can definitely make out an improvement on the textures, lighting, shadows, character models and in particular the rain effects.

In its current state DayZ doesn't utilise the GPU to its full potential, with a lot of rendering processes tied to the actual simulation, leading to the massive FPS drops you may have experienced when entering built-up areas.