BF2 Hitfixer Legal or Not?

Crazzie_Canuck

A member of another clan that plays regularly on our server sent me a link other day. My question is,

is the hitfixer for ingame hitbox legal or not???? Here is link:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=104544&p=1

Hope this right place to post if not let me know Thanks!!!

Edited by Crazzie_canuck

I have seen this before... and in terms of what PBBans does - it is legal. As for EA's ROE though, I am not sure. It changes settings not usually available to the player - and it certainly does not make for a level playing field.

Thanks just wonderin. I stream here an to PsB also, an dont agree with hacks thats why i wanted input. If it was considered one id ban guys i know usin it from server.

Edited by Crazzie_canuck

It is legal since you can go and change all of the same settings yourself. They are all in the local files. Effectiveness of this tool is debatable though.

so if this program changes usersettings.con

then we have md5 check to kick users with this modified file

if all done in memory of game and not written to file then thats sux

don`t think that normal players need it so I prefer ban for this kind of tools (and autohotkey is first of them)

PsB link to thread about md5 check

Edited by Game Host.ru

It changes a setting thats in your config file anyway, and has to do with the lag adjustment. Too low and things tend to skip around, too high and you'll get shot a full second after you run safely around a corner.

I see no problem with this - bf2 was originally intended to adjust the latency comp, interpolations/extrapolation times automatically just like this - but never made it into the finished version (along with many things)

I don't use it myself as my pings are stable around 20ms to my clans servers and others in the UK.

You can adjust the settings manually by editing the config files - by default its set as 100ms.

However you can also do this in-game using the console (~) - so the reality is you don't need to modify config files, you can simply change the values using console commands, just the same as entering a renderer.drawhud type command or similar

The only difference between this small app and either editing configs or using console commands is that the app polls the ping values and updates it repeatedly. The only benefit this would have is for players with unstable pings (as the values update) - whereas for people like me, whose ping always sits around 20ms, there is no benefit in using the tool.

Ultimately it uses options that are available as in-game commands. Its functionality was origianlly intended in bf2 (if any of you still have the beta copy). It's not a cheat and does not give an advantage over those of us lucky enough to already have decent pings and as such is not a cheat

Edited by MonkeyFiend

• 2 weeks later...

I have inquired to Evenbalance about this app. It is currently under review by them.

This was the reply.

He will need to show some proof that it was "approved" by us, particuarly since it is being used in conjunction with AutoHotkey. We'll look into this further.

It is legal since you can go and change all of the same settings yourself. They are all in the local files. Effectiveness of this tool is debatable though.

+1

Some say it makes wonder, as the hitreg/ netcode was "broken" somehow in BF2 and tweaking this should help a bit on the way to fix that, as you say, Effectiveness of this tool is debatable.

Not bannable if EB state otherwise.

FYI: You might be caught on game hook for this one as it does have a hotkey.

Advice: DO NOT USE.

I see no problem with this - bf2 was originally intended to adjust the latency comp, interpolations/extrapolation times automatically just like this - but never made it into the finished version (along with many things)

I don't use it myself as my pings are stable around 20ms to my clans servers and others in the UK.

You can adjust the settings manually by editing the config files - by default its set as 100ms.

However you can also do this in-game using the console (~) - so the reality is you don't need to modify config files, you can simply change the values using console commands, just the same as entering a renderer.drawhud type command or similar

The only difference between this small app and either editing configs or using console commands is that the app polls the ping values and updates it repeatedly. The only benefit this would have is for players with unstable pings (as the values update) - whereas for people like me, whose ping always sits around 20ms, there is no benefit in using the tool.

Ultimately it uses options that are available as in-game commands. Its functionality was origianlly intended in bf2 (if any of you still have the beta copy). It's not a cheat and does not give an advantage over those of us lucky enough to already have decent pings and as such is not a cheat

This man makes sense, listen.

This man makes sense, listen.

Its not a cheat to adjust latency comp, interpolations/extrapolation times

But I will quote my self on this one:

FYI: You might be caught on game hook for this one as it does have a hotkey.

Advice: DO NOT USE.

Don't get caught by PB software using a 3rd party program in your game.

Its not a cheat to adjust latency comp, interpolations/extrapolation times

But I will quote my self on this one:

Don't get caught by PB software using a 3rd party program in your game.

yep it has a KeybdHook which maps the command to a key.

that bannable? Autohotkey bannable?

Ultimately it uses options that are available as in-game commands. Its functionality was originally intended in bf2

Ok I know how with bf2 in-game commands make esp-cheat, continue ?

Anyway I prey that PB will detect and ban any autohotkey :)

Edited by Game Host.ru

Use it, if you get banned, don't cry about it. Your choice.

So if I run Autohotkey for my spreadsheets, and forget to turn it off before loading Battlefield 2 - I risk having my account banned by PunkBuster?

Nostromo? G15? Any Logitech programmable mouse or joystick?

Hmmmm Interesting....

Now the quesiton is, is this legal even with us agreeing to the EULA since Autohotkey is not modifying game files, does Punkbuster have the right to disable or disallow service? Someone who is a lawyer can answer that please.

There are legitimate uses for macro programs like JoyToKey and AutoHotkey. Example:

Allow you to paste an IP address into the IP connect dialog

Allow you to paste text into the game

Disable the Windows Keys so you don't get kicked to desktop when you accidentially press them

Allow you spot using the cammo rose while flying by pressing a button on your joystick

Allow you to use your HAT on your joystick to mouselook around (common in any other game)

Allow you to say, "I'm sorry," using the cammo rose while using a joystick

Type pre-canned phrases into chat, like "There's a claymore around the corner" or "Enemy near the Hotel" in squad or team chat.

Because the game doesn't have a Queue to log into servers, having it double click on a server and then press the OK button in the Dialog-Full dialog box

Press a single key to drop a claymore/c4/med pack or supply bag and then switch back to your main weapon

These are just a sample of legitimate uses of macros. To 'fix' prone spamming just make HARD-CODED delays at the server. Or when someone clicks 20 times per second, ignore the clicks at the server end or even the client side and put a maximum number of clicks per second like 3 or 4 - really simple programming.

So if Autohotkey is banned, what other freeware program will be next?

a can of worms is truley open!!!!

Edited by CyFa

So if I run Autohotkey for my spreadsheets, and forget to turn it off before loading Battlefield 2 - I risk having my account banned by PunkBuster?

Nostromo? G15? Any Logitech programmable mouse or joystick?

Hmmmm Interesting....

Now the quesiton is, is this legal even with us agreeing to the EULA since Autohotkey is not modifying game files, does Punkbuster have the right to disable or disallow service? Someone who is a lawyer can answer that please.

As far as I am aware - autohotkey can trigger a PB violation, yes.

EDIT: Punkbuster DOES kick for the use of Autohotkey - a bannable violation.

Punkbuster does not deny you use of the game for using autohotkey - we do; based off the violations raised by Punkbuster.

Add to this the fact that PBBans is an autonomous organisation completely separate from EB, and the fact that our banlist is not enforced across all servers (and where it is used, it is used voluntarily) - it leaves no standing for people to take legal action against us.

So, Surfy's statement stands - if PB decide to kick for using Hitfixer, and we add it as a bannable violation - you will be banned for using it.

As far as I am aware - autohotkey can trigger a PB violation, yes.

Punkbuster does not deny you use of the game for using autohotkey - we do; based off the violations raised by Punkbuster.

Add to this the fact that PBBans is an autonomous organisation completely separate from EB, and the fact that our banlist is not enforced across all servers (and where it is used, it is used voluntarily) - it leaves no standing for people to take legal action against us.

So, Surfy's statement stands - if PB decide to kick for using Hitfixer, and we add it as a bannable violation - you will be banned for using it.

thank you for clearing that up :) so if Hitfixer becomes bannable by using Autohotkey to run it, would making changes to GSInterpolationTime via the console be bannable also? correct me if im wrong, thats what the Hitfixer does.

thank you for clearing that up :) so if Hitfixer becomes bannable by using Autohotkey to run it, would making changes to GSInterpolationTime via the console be bannable also? correct me if im wrong, thats what the Hitfixer does.

Whether Hitfixer becomes kickable/bannable is up to Evenbalance - the ethics of it is up to them. We are just saying that until they confirm either way, you use it at your own risk. As for their declaration that it was "approved by Punkbuster" - that appears to be a fabrication.

As for using Autohotkey to run anything, there is a high probability that you will be kicked and banned if you use it in game on a streaming server. It comes under the AUTOFIRE #110000 range of detections if I remember rightly.

Whether Hitfixer becomes kickable/bannable is up to Evenbalance - the ethics of it is up to them. We are just saying that until they confirm either way, you use it at your own risk. As for their declaration that it was "approved by Punkbuster" - that appears to be a fabrication.

As for using Autohotkey to run anything, there is a high probability that you will be kicked and banned if you use it in game on a streaming server. It comes under the AUTOFIRE #110000 range of detections if I remember rightly.

many thanks for your helpfull replys Duality. Looking forward to the conclusion to this one as im sure many are :)

There are currently two versions.DupaUnits version and mine

Mine can be found here : http://forums.bf2stats.nl/bf2-hitreg-tweaker-t5625.html

Is it possible that pbbans checks it and approves it or not?

I would like to see if its considered cheating.i dont want the people who use my program to get banned

(In my opinion this is not..All it does is type those commands for you and some other stuff that is perfecly legal i think)

Edited by Delusion

There are currently two versions.DupaUnits version and mine

Mine can be found here : http://forums.bf2stats.nl/bf2-hitreg-tweaker-t5625.html

Is it possible that pbbans checks it and approves it or not?

I would like to see if its considered cheating.i dont want the people who use my program to get banned

(In my opinion this is not..All it does is type those commands for you and some other stuff that is perfecly legal i think)

It is not up to us to see if it is acceptable by punkbuster - you will need to contact Evenbalance :)