Battlefield 4 Operation Blackout 12/25/2013

MaydaX

Who Exactly Is Behind Operation Blackout?

While the collective itself seems to operate anonymously it’s not just individual players that are on board with the movement. At least a handful of very large and prominently organized Battlefield Communities are behind the movement as well. Reportedly several hundred BF4 PC servers will be renamed to “Operation Blackout” on the scheduled December 25th blackout date. The BF4 server’s will be set up to appear on Battlelog yet will not be joinable via server-side settings.

BF4 Server Administrators Are Not Happy Campers

Server administrators quickly jumping on board should come as no surprise, as thousands of BF4 Server renters are outraged as well over massive changes that limit game settings flexibility. The new unannounced changes to BF4 server variables were introduced by DICE prior to launching BF4 yet the new limitations were never revealed to would-be server renters. Many server administrators felt misled by the intentional nondisclosure of the new restrictions introduced with BF4. They were left to assume that they would have the same or very similar server-side flexibility as they had with other previous BF titles.

BF4 Server Administrators are paying on average $80-$90 per month for a 60+ slot BF4 server that in some cases they literally have zero control over. With the new introduction of “Official” servers, administrators do not have the ability to remove hackers or disruptive players from the very servers that they are funding to operate. Perhaps just as troublesome, is the the fact that players who make racist comments in chat are immune from having their chat censored or being removed from the server by the paying server administrator.

http://bf4platoons.com/battlefield-4-operation-blackout-12252013/

Yeah right, EA will really listen.  Hell if all the servers who say they will participate actually do, the EA servers will probably run smoother for the game servers who don't participate.

Never underestimate the power of collective, constructive, action. It's not about a "one time" event here expecting an immediate response. Google "bf4 operation blackout". It will definitely have a cumlative effect. Thanks for posting this up here Maydax. 

DICE is pretty open in lots of media telling that they screwed things up.

And they have been working pretty hard to fix things. Even BF3 had not this many server patches in a couple of days.

Also, many DICE devs are communicating on Reddit, Twitter and the Procon forums during their vacations.

They reach out to their fans and are pretty easy to approach.

So what is this group fearing? Why that anonymity?

Why not try to communicate in the open?

Yes, the game in current state is not OK. Just like we had to wait months before BF3 became stable and pretty good.

So, did everybody forget how bad the first months with BF3 were?

Remember: we did get the queue system only since march (game released october) and vipslots in the end of April.

Not saying DICE delivered top notch; on the contrary, I can hardly play this game myself without getting annoyed.

It's just a fear that came true for me: first months would be horrible.

But I still try to communicate with them and trying to help them fixing this game.

I'm not participating in a black out, I will keep communicating with DICE.

• Upvote 2

Never underestimate the power of collective, constructive, action. It's not about a "one time" event here expecting an immediate response. Google "bf4 operation blackout". It will definitely have a cumlative effect. Thanks for posting this up here Maydax. 

Never overestimate the participants. A blackout with only your 2 servers participating is not really a blackout... ;)

I think the frustrations stems more from the fact that it looks like DICE learnt absolutely nothing from the launch chaos of BF3. If anything, you could even say things are worse than the BF3 launch.

• Upvote 1

A blackout with only your 2 servers participating is not really a blackout... ;)

Ebassie, it's almost as if you're posting in some triumphant tone there? That in and of it'self is somewhat disturbing to me as a Battlefield Community Leader. Surely you comprehend that none of this is about a single Blackout? It's not about the number of servers that you can count, as you've taken the liberty to "investigate" the matter.

How you represent your community is your business and I respect that. But I must wonder how intune you really are with the large number of Battlefielders that still can't even play this broken game? Surely you're not oblivious to the rapidly declining player base that is unprecedented even in comparison with Battlefield 3? How can you condone and in this case, as it appears, jump in to "defend" the launch failure we're experiencing now on such a massive scale?   

I represent 400+ of my community members who purchased Battlefield 4 and many of whom worked very hard to earn the $120 or so to purchase the game with the expectation that it would deliver or at minimal by this point in time be playable. Unlike many community leaders I spend a great deal of time interacting and actually playing the game with my community. Hence I am very aware in regards to the many issues, which after two months still plague the game.

I also represent the many contributors to the servers we do operate. I take very seriously the let down it has become for many of them and can't and won't defend EA/DICE in the light that many apparently feel the need to do so. That does not mean I am anti EA/DICE. To the contrary I have supported them and the Battlefield series for years. I continue to do so by keeping our servers and community moving forward. We have numerous web properties and hundreds of hours are spent each week continuing to promote the game.

There is a state of apathy that seems to have set in with a lot of BF community leaders and organizers. It's a state whereby things like what we're experiencing now are perceived as ok. It's a sad state of affairs when one BF community leader feels the need to publicly shame another one for expressing their concern and disapproval of the present state of Battlefield in their own unique way.

The whole idea behind the Blackout movement has already served, in many aspects, much of what it was intended to. That intention was not merely about shutting servers down for a single day or how many servers would follow through. It has already began to raise even more awareness about the present state of the games dire need for some expedient resolutions. It has engaged you as well and so I would be very hesitant about critiquing it's success or failure at this early point.  

It saddens me when I honestly and objectively take a close look at the present state of Battlefield. Smaller communities have folded up shop and thousands upon thousands of players have walked away from the series. Thousands of server administrators are already no longer with us just two months into what should have been one of the most exciting and expansive eras in Battlefield history.

Despite how this movement is perceived or portrayed to be by others, I assure you it is one of optimism and tremendous hope for the game and the series.     

Edited by GaWebDevDotCom

I think the frustrations stems more from the fact that it looks like DICE learnt absolutely nothing from the launch chaos of BF3. If anything, you could even say things are worse than the BF3 launch.

They are "worse" Singh. Much worse. It's not even plausible to compare the the two. Numbers don't lie and if one is objective enough to research numbers supporting this they too would be forced to admit it.