XBox One - Update

SuperTaz

Update for XBox One:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

• Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

I guess they were losing pre-orders to Sony... lol

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/06/06/microsoft-confirms-gamers-fears-over-xbox-one/?partner=yahootix

The tech giant posted a slew of information about the Xbox One on Thursday evening. It confirmed that the console will need to be connected to the internet once every 24 hours in order to function, making life very difficult for gamers with an unstable internet connection, and near-impossible for most soldiers. There will be restrictions on how you can loan games, and while you can still give games to your friends, each game can only be given once. Used games can be sold at retail stores only with the publisher’s permission.

We also learned that you can share games with your Xbox “family” of up to ten people, which is actually kind of cool. We also learned that the Kinect camera can be turned off, so it’s not as creepy as it could have been.

For right now, I’m not sure if Microsoft’s position with the hardcore gamer market can be salvaged. Sony is already highly favored with that crowd, and now all it has to do is be slightly less tone-deaf to cement its lead. I imagine that we’ll probably hear about similar used games restrictions — that feels like a publisher-led initiative to me, but it would be very difficult for Sony to damage the lead it has with hardcore gamers at this point.

• Upvote 1

For some reason, I'm not even mad about this. For us PC gamers, we cannot bring the game back to the retail store if we open the case. However, the connection to internet daily is going to be a hassle.

I see more business for Sony in long run if they allow to play games without internet and I guess once they mentioned that. Not sure if that will change or not.

• 2 weeks later...