RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkbstrA.exe

maninthespoon

Hello, I have been having a problem with punkbuster in BF2 for about a week now. After I join a game I am immediately kicked and get this warning. I have tried manually updating punkbuster and making sure my firewall allows it.

Posted Image

I ran pbsvc.exe, uninstalled my old punkbuster and setup the new one and it is still giving me the same error

edit: also neither pnkbstrA.exe or pnkbstrB.exe seem to be running

Edited by maninthespoon

Well I think Ive found the problem. I had noticed pnkbstr a and b were both running after bf2 had closed and after startup so I had disabled it. It really needs to run on startup now and while bf2 isnt even running? If thats true then I guess I will have to quit bf2 because that is too intrusive, there is no need for it to be running constantly. Thanks for your help.

I found a small batch file that I use that sits on my desktop that starts the services up prior to me starting the game and turns them off once I am finished playing.

It should work for windows xp and above and should be adaptable to any game.

rem set punkbuster services to auto 
sc config PnkBstrA binpath= "c:\windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe" start= "auto" 
sc config PnkBstrB binpath= "c:\windows\system32\PnkBstrB.exe" start= "auto"
   rem start the punkbuster services 
sc start PnkBstrA 
sc start PnkBstrB 

rem start America's Army 
start /wait "" "C:\Program Files\America's Army\System\ArmyOps.exe" 

rem after AA closes stop punkbuster services 
sc stop PnkBstrA 
sc stop PnkBstrB 

rem reset status of punkbuster services to disabled 
sc config PnkBstrA binpath= "c:\windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe" start= "disabled" 
sc config PnkBstrB binpath= "c:\windows\system32\PnkBstrB.exe" start= "disabled"

I put the batch file ( mine is named aao.cmd ) in my root folder and have a shortcut on my desktop.. I changed the icon of the desktop shortcut to suit my game icon and have never had any issues and the services only run when my game runs :D

• Upvote 1

wow.. I am not familiar with bf2 at all so I am sorry that didnt work for you as I thought it would.

After posting this though I did go back to where I found it the batch file originally and they have updated .. so maybe this version will be better for BF2.

----------------------------------------------------------------

First off set the services to manual,

then open notepad and create a file called pbconfig.bat

The contents of the file should be :-

sc config PnkBstrA binpath= "c:\windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe" start= "demand" 
sc config PnkBstrB binpath= "c:\windows\system32\PnkBstrB.exe" start= "demand"

Run this once.

Then replace ALL of the original text in the aforementioned aao.cmd file with the following :-

start /wait "" "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe"
taskkill /im PnkBstrA.exe /f
taskkill /im PnkBstrB.exe /f

Save this to your root directory and follow the instructions from above about putting a shortcut to your desktop.

Hopefully that should work for you :)

This takes you to that very long intro that BF2 has.. I am aware that some people have created shortcuts to circumvent the long intro , so maybe the path needs to be adjusted to accommodate that but I am not sure.

Good luck

kudos to Yapple2 and [OF]Grumpy for the creating the batch files originally btw :)

• 3 months later...

has anyone found a good solution to this problem. i am now having the same problem. i join a server, but then it kicks me on the service communication failure. i have tried re-installing, patching, and repatching it. i have also tried the pbsetup. any help would be appriciated. thanks

I'd update my client side PB to the latest version and the server to the latest. You could also try removing mods and custom maps to see if maybe one of them is the cause. Does this happen on all servers or only certain ones?

• 1 year later...

I'd update my client side PB to the latest version and the server to the latest. You could also try removing mods and custom maps to see if maybe one of them is the cause. Does this happen on all servers or only certain ones?

I recently purchased BF2. I installed it it worked fine. i then installed all updates and booster packs and started getting this error. i ran you pbsetup to update my pb files. the app says all files are up to date. i get the same error on every server i try to connect to. please help correct this error as i have now wasted money on a game i cant even play due to you trying to stop cheaters which would be easier by having a reporting system and banning clients from there.

don't revive a dead thread

make your own and you will have a better chance getting help

PBBans is not EvenBalance

EvenBalance is the maker of PunkPuster

Edited by HSMagnet
  • Upvote 1