Punkbuster Screenshots

Croaker

I searched through the other topics, but did not see the info I needed. If I missed it, please forgive me and direct me to the proper thread.

I tried to take a screen shot last night on one of our clans COD4 servers. I used the command /pb_sv_getss after having logged in with the RCON command. My understanding from a PB-SS manual that I read was that this command would force a screenshot from every player currently in the game. Unfortunately, when I entered the command I got the message Punkbuster Server: 0 Requested Screenshots.

I considered the idea that this was normal, so I checked the PB-SS directory but no images had been taken. I have done quite a few searches on the internet and visited a lot of forums that all seem to say that I used the correct command and sequence.

The only thing I can think of is that since the server is not setup to take PB-SS automatically, then the command to force the PB-SS manually will not work. Does that sound right? If so, is there a way to setup the PB-SS facility so that the manual PB-SS can be taken but the automatic PB-SS is not done. The reason I ask is that our groups leader does not want to impact the server performance in any way and prefers not to be taking PB-SS automatically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PB_SV_GetSs [player_name_or_slot#]

Sends a request to all applicable connected players asking for a screen shot to be captured and sent to the PB Server; to specify a player name or substring (as opposed to slot #), surround the text with double-quote marks

Pb_sv_getss 1 (this will take a pbss of the person in slot 1, Not everyone on the server. The reason no ss were requested is because you didn't specify a slot number.

PB_SV_AutoSs [0/1]

Set to 1 (default is 0) if you want the PB server to regularly retrieve screen shots from connected players

That is what you want.

pb_sv_getss by itself will take a screenshot of everyone on the server.

Confirmed /rcon pb_sv_getss ,, as this is what i use to take multiple SS at times,, and then in yellow text in the ingame console you should see it requesting a SS for everyone currently on the server.

Edited by bartman
  • Upvote 1

Ace,

So you are saying that I do have to turn on the auto screenshot facility to force the manual screenshots with the /pb_sv_getss command, is that correct?

If so, is there a way to set it so that it takes the least amount of auto screenshots as possible? Maybe by setting up these commands in a certain way?

pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 300 //[Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 //[Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

Thanks for all the help.

BTW ... I had tried taking screen shots of individual users by both name and slot number and received the same error message as in the OP.

Thanks again.

I want to thank you all for your help. After working with it over the weekend we found that you do not need to have the auto screenshot facility turned on but you do have to preface the command with RCON. So the procedure was that after you are logged into RCON you can get screenshots of every player on the server by typing in /rcon pb_sv_getss.

Bob,

I have discussed setting up the server as a streaming server with the clan leader but he feels that the additional stress on the server could impact game performance and is reluctant to do so. We will simply have to take manual screenshots and inspect those that may be suspect. Which brings me to another question. I believe that I read on the site that if we are not a streaming server than we can not ask for assistance in examining screenshots that we either do not understand or suspect. If that is indeed the case, can you point me to anywhere else that we could get such assistance? I am going to keep working on our clan leader about the streaming issue, but if we identify one or more people who are cheating on our servers it might give me a better chance of convincing him.

Thanks again.

Croaker.

I have discussed setting up the server as a streaming server with the clan leader but he feels that the additional stress on the server could impact game performance and is reluctant to do so.

Streaming DOES NOT cause any sort of "lag" problems on the server.

Certain PB settings, amount of Cvar/MD5 checks, and/or combinations thereof may.

( Trial and error as some servers can handle more than others )

I believe that I read on the site that if we are not a streaming server than we can not ask for assistance in examining screenshots that we either do not understand or suspect.

You can always stop in an ask for assistance on screenshots.

But if you are NOT streaming here then any cheaters you may find can not be added

to the MBI ( Master Ban Index ) to be shared by all other streaming servers.

Plus you'd become a "Streaming Game Admin" which allows greater access here

and get even more assistance.

I have uncovered a bug with this and Evenbalance is working to resolve it

this is the case i came across

suspicious player Player A in slot 13 wanted SS

i went to console typed /rcon pb_sv_getSS 13

message given was Screenshot recorded of Player B which is in Slot 2

typed /rcon pb_sv_getss player A

message was PBSS capture command was ignored - something like this may not be exact wording but said the ss was ignored

also doing Bans same scenario

/rcon pb_sv_banuser 13

banned one of my clanmembers in slot 2

Note here this only happens when you have a lot of players on server did this on our server with 23 players

on our server with 7 players all was recorded correctly and ban was getting the right player

also was misreporting GUIDS to Alias's and SS was listed with wrong player in the html file i emailed EB and they have Fixed that issue and updated PB

but the first issue with the bans and getSS commands is still open i have not heard from them on this as of yet

so what happens is you go and kick/ban someone from the server and notice a minute later they are still on the server best check it out to make sure it didn't kick the wrong person

1 instance for some unknown reason trying to kick a player resulted in everyone getting kicked from the server

not sure of why that happened i have not been able to replicate it again to figure that out

• 4 years later...