PunkBuster coming to Bad Company 2

MaydaX

Will be good to see PBBans in BC2

I agree. As far as I'm concerned, no game is worth playing unless there is a viable anti-cheat implemented like PBBans. I am looking forward to playing BC2 in an anti-cheat environment.

I agree. As far as I'm concerned, no game is worth playing unless there is a viable anti-cheat implemented like PBBans. I am looking forward to playing BC2 in an anti-cheat environment.

Don't get too excited there are still issues that need to be sorted out.

Thanks for the Info, but this bit had me in fits.

*Banning an IP is Effective*

What the? Here in Australia 99.9% of ALL Internet users have a Dynamic IP. One router reboot later I am back on your server hacking away to my hearts content!!!!

Seriously, most ISP's here actually charge EXTRA for a static IP, I know mine does.

A range-ban would work, but you'd end up killing off more of your player-base than it's worth most times. IP banning in today's age is pretty useless, really.

A range-ban would work, but you'd end up killing off more of your player-base than it's worth most times. IP banning in today's age is pretty useless, really.

Noted.

• Upvote 5

Are you able to shed any light on the actual NEED for this change over how BF2 was delivered? I do not really understand the concept of providing a tool to aid admins in keeping their servers clean of hacks, and then preventing access to it?

Was there a problem before with people accessing the PB folder?

Perhaps a little off topic, but as a GSP, I have also wondered how one applies to be an RSP for the game, as whether we can stream or not becomes moot if we cannot run servers anyhow.

• Upvote 2

Noted.

Wow. I am well impressed. They are listening and monitoring! Progress in the free world!

Thank you DICE. It warms my heart to see this.

Yes, there are still some issues to be sorted or perhaps clarified, but there is no doubt you are at least listening. <bows>

BFBC2 now allows PB streaming, which is a plus.

Issues that I still see (or incorrectly assume):

No battlerecorder. Especially usefull for spotting aimbots, fog hacks, etc. This feature was paramount for banning undetected hacks running amuck.

No server screenshots. Useful for catching custom homebrew hacks, etc

No mods. Not really a cheat issue.

No access to console (no checking GUID as a player). Anyone remember namehacks, even when people said namehacking wasnt possible?

No MD5 checks.

No macro checks. Macros are now allowed universally.

Issues I have no idea:

Server logs. Are these available without server file access? If so for how long? What info in them is available?

My opinion:

Dice has half stepped up to the plate, but hasnt completely. Streaming is a big tool. What about when PBBans gets their hands on a hack, how are they to test it on a private server? So does this mean no more MD5 checks? Which translates to hacks playing weeks longer on BFBC2 servers?

And the unaddressed issue, I feel server admins have still been left out in the cold.

3rd party PB streaming has now been implemented. Basically means a players account can be researched to see if he prior bans (and didnt bother covering his tracks).

As a server admin this makes investigating a suspected cheat effortless as there is no data to look at other than his history of 100 previous successful hacks or none.

As to how admins deal with suspected cheats, who knows other than its going to be messy. If an admin bans a player for suspected cheating, how does a player appeal that ban when no evidence exists in the first place. "It felt like" or "it looked like you were cheating" is now the standard for bans. Or admins dont ban suspected cheaters.

Edited by Mashman

So, how does any of this work?

Ranked server providers do not allow access to the PB folder.

Is Dice saying the servers will be setup to automatically stream to pbbans?

So, how does any of this work?

Ranked server providers do not allow access to the PB folder.

Is Dice saying the servers will be setup to automatically stream to pbbans?

You have to send RCON commands to the server as defined here:

http://www.pbbans.com/info-center-hubguide.html#bc2rcon

A basic command line rcon tool can be found here:

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/streaming-setup-issues-and-console-tool-t112717.html

I've requested to DICE that various pb config files be editable from within tcadmin and other game panels.

You have to send RCON commands to the server as defined here:

http://www.pbbans.com/info-center-hubguide.html#bc2rcon

A basic command line rcon tool can be found here:

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/streaming-setup-issues-and-console-tool-t112717.html

I've requested to DICE that various pb config files be editable from within tcadmin and other game panels.

It would seem to me if they wanted to protect the game but allow PB configuration they would just allow the hosting companies to allow rooted access to the PB directory.

Are other PB commands supported through RCON? What exactly is the extent of PB support for BF:BC2?

Is the screenshots facility supported? It might be possible to get a hosting company to at least provide a http: link to the pbsvss.htm file and folder...

Edited by sshadd

We have had a server up via Hypernia since yesterday. Is there a thread I can goto for help to get it streaming?

There are limited PB settings available thru the Web Portal, and also access to the PB Web Tool, thats about it.

• Upvote 1

We have had a server up via Hypernia since yesterday. Is there a thread I can goto for help to get it streaming?

Are other PB commands supported through RCON? What exactly is the extent of PB support for BF:BC2?

Is the screenshots facility supported? It might be possible to get a hosting company to at least provide a http: link to the pbsvss.htm file and folder...

The same PB commands work in BC2 as BF2. To send a command use the following RCON command:

punkBuster.pb_sv_command ""

Quotes are needed for multi argument commands like setting a pb setting.

Example: punkBuster.pb_sv_command "pb_sv_getss"

• 3 weeks later...

BFBC2 Feature Request For DICE:

Can you allow players to join a server via IP address like we can in BF2 and BF2142? It is so much easier to join by IP then by going through the server list or favorites list, which is usually full after playing on many servers. By joining by IP address, it assures the player is connecting to the right server and not to one that has a similar name to the one that he/she normally plays on.

• Upvote 2

BFBC2 Feature Request For DICE:

Can you allow players to join a server via IP address like we can in BF2 and BF2142? It is so much easier to join by IP then by going through the server list or favorites list, which is usually full after playing on many servers. By joining by IP address, it assures the player is connecting to the right server and not to one that has a similar name to the one that he/she normally plays on.

x2

Also an auto balance that works would be nice, team stacking is getting very silly, 4 vs 16 is not a fun game :(

x2

Also an auto balance that works would be nice, team stacking is getting very silly, 4 vs 16 is not a fun game :(

makes it even better that no one can switch teams to even it.

'

you get one team switch the entire time you are connected to the server.

new people joining the server are added to the stacked team..... i have had worse than 4 v 16

changed maps to try to force balance....no DICE :P

• 4 months later...

eb_bfbc2.png

PBBans has been working with DICE to help with PB features that sites like ours use. While there is still work to be done in regards to PB integration, PBBans will now be offering streaming support for BC2.

I want to say thanks to DICE for offering their support to help make this happen.

Bad Company 2 will be added to our systems upon release. Also a game based signature will be added and available for account users to select.

mdx_game_bfbc2.png

Sweet! I love it.. go get them EA and DICE!

just trying to pad your post count?

pick on the current topics for a change

then add something half way relevant

i do have some experience in this matter.....