Punkbuster and Wine

Game_boy

I am an Ubuntu 7.10 (Linux) user, wishing to run legitimately bought games using Punkbuster. I use Wine to run these Windows-monopoly-tied-in games on Linux, which works perfectly with graphics and everything at native speed. The only thing preventing me from using the games is that I am repeatedly kicked from servers because Punkbuster performs MD5 checksums on my API files and kernel checks, which fail because Wine's code is nothing like Windows. Though I have no intention of cheating, it is Punkbuster alone that is preventing me from enjoying the games.

Punkbuster discriminates against those who wish to avoid Windows as a personal preference. There appears to be no intention from the developers of resolving this, and thus they are missing out on a small but significant market segment.

Its not a PunkBuster but Game Developers. EvenBalance will port PB to any platform. You need to complain to game developers not to EvenBalance. All idSoftware games are avi for Linux as well and PB support them. It's not possible to get PB running under the wine. There are strong system API checks. Furthermore all PB versions above 1.500 has kernel drivers which can't be used in Wine.

Its not a PunkBuster but Game Developers. EvenBalance will port PB to any platform. You need to complain to game developer not to EvenBalance. All idSoftware games are avi for Linux as well and PB support them. It's not possible to get PB running under the wine. There are strong system API checks. Furthermore all PB versions above 1.500 has kernel drivers which can't be used in Wine.
Punkbuster / Evenblance could do something about it by making Windows-bundled versions of PB more sympathetic to Wine.*edit* :BigB: :poster_spam: <--- admin abuse for illiteracy. Another proof its an outdated prejudgment only windows lusers are tards and linux guys always had to be "smart"

They have more important work to do than making PB compatible with wine.

Wine developer could do the same :) .

Actually, they can't. MD5 checksums check essentially every line of the API files. If the code isn't exactly like Windows code to the last bit, the games kick me. If Wine made it exactly like Windows, it would be piracy.

Actually, they can't. MD5 checksums check essentially every line of the API files. If the code isn't exactly like Windows code to the last bit, the games kick me. If Wine made it exactly like Windows, it would be piracy.

It wouldn't be. EvenBalance is not the one to be blamed but game developers.

• 2 months later...

A couple of months late I know but I did not want to create another thread for this.

I still blame EB. I can get the game to work with Wine to near perfection. I cannot get punkbuster to work. I am finding that Wine users are considered 'punks' too. Very disgruntled here. Linux users are a fast growing segment of the gaming public. EB should work with us in mind. I will continue to play on non-PB servers and write polite letters to server operators to reconsider thier PB configuration, or remove it entirely. I suggest that all Wine gamers do the same.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my point of view, late as it is.

A couple of months late I know but I did not want to create another thread for this.

I still blame EB. I can get the game to work with Wine to near perfection. I cannot get punkbuster to work. I am finding that Wine users are considered 'punks' too. Very disgruntled here. Linux users are a fast growing segment of the gaming public. EB should work with us in mind. I will continue to play on non-PB servers and write polite letters to server operators to reconsider thier PB configuration, or remove it entirely. I suggest that all Wine gamers do the same.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my point of view, late as it is.

Blame game developers for not porting their games to linux. If there were port, EB would support.

Thread Closed.

• 2 years later...

Once again:

Wine is not and will not be supported or allowed by Punkbuster (quote Evenbalance). See: click , some-more-homeworks

PB under Wine will raise bannable violations that usually refer to methods commonly used by wallhacks/punkbuster-hacks/mulithacks to bypass cheat-detection, thus all "petitions" regarding this matter are up a dead end, evenbalance will never remove these violations, and for good reasons.

PunkBuster support is not for free, so quaint wishlists will be simply ignored. Send them to Santa rather than EvenBalace.

PB has a startup fee plus monthly operation fees. So it's often not a good solution for smaller games.

Bottomline: either legit linux binaries are available or pb-disabled servers only.