PBBANS no longer issue bans?

Middy

I did a search of a new ET server that i play to see if it streamed to pbbans and recived this: The server you have entered was not found to be streaming to PBBans

Posted this in a forum extolling the virtues of that site if they should stream to pbbans and received this response (from an admin of a rival ET server I might add)

"PBBANS no longer issue bans nor do they add to their ban list for ET due in part to guid spoofing, so streaming to them is not going to produce any greater advantage." thread on forum

Is this true?

Because when I was an admin of an ET server a year or 2 ago and we streamed to pbbans it appeared to periodically catch cheaters, I thought it was a good service.

Edited by Middy

I did a search of a new ET server that i play to see if it streamed to pbbans and recived this: The server you have entered was not found to be streaming to PBBans

Posted this in a forum extolling the virtues of that site if they should stream to pbbans and received this response (from an admin of a rival ET server I might add)

"PBBANS no longer issue bans nor do they add to their ban list for ET due in part to guid spoofing, so streaming to them is not going to produce any greater advantage." thread on forum

Is this true?

Because when I was an admin of an ET server a year or 2 ago and we streamed to pbbans it appeared to periodically catch cheaters, I thought it was a good service.

We keep the MD5/cvar scans etc bang up to date for ET.

The PBBans Hub still kicks for detected bannable violations but does not add the player caught to the MBI.

We do, however, have an unofficial banlist that admins that use our services can download and use.

The one thing that we can not do is compromise the integrity of our banlist's.

As long as ET server admins have control of the pb_sv_guidrelax setting and the pb_sv_guidauth setting, we can not, in all good conscience, place potentially innocent players on our official banlist.

We had proof of concept sent to us showing how easy the spoofing was to apply.

The ones that stood out all had a columbian IP, the others had IP's from all over europe and the USA.

That, in a nutshell, is why PBBans decided to suspend banning re ET.

It's worth noting that ET is the only PB enabled game that has this issue.