PBBans Lite Streaming now available

MaydaX

Have I read this right, any individual can stream a server here as a lite admin but it's only short term with the hope of that admin becoming full admin when he/she starts/joins a clan?

I'm asking because as an individual who's no longer part of a clan if a game I play uses PB then I would like to stream here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Very cool, I applied for the lite for now until things grow...One thing that I noticed is when I look at my servers pb shots many of them are black including my own...I hear that having anti aliasing on and many other things can cause this but it worries me that once im streaming will that result in a ban? how does that work as I just want the real hackers banned not people having technical issues ? Also I remember when i played bf3 we learned people were for a time using the window7 aero based hack that did an overlay on their screen and was not able to be caught by antihack software...is this type of hack available for cod4 because there have been some on my server that i seriously question as it seems every shot they make is extremely accurate to the point of suspicion. Thanks

Receiving black PB screenshot can be caused by various things, most important its proof for nothing.

One can be innocent and the other can use hacks and both can get the same result, black screenshot.

• Upvote 2

Very cool, I applied for the lite for now until things grow...One thing that I noticed is when I look at my servers pb shots many of them are black including my own...I hear that having anti aliasing on and many other things can cause this but it worries me that once im streaming will that result in a ban? how does that work as I just want the real hackers banned not people having technical issues ? Also I remember when i played bf3 we learned people were for a time using the window7 aero based hack that did an overlay on their screen and was not able to be caught by antihack software...is this type of hack available for cod4 because there have been some on my server that i seriously question as it seems every shot they make is extremely accurate to the point of suspicion. Thanks

No one will be issued a ban for returning black screenshots.

If you have suspicions of any player on your COD4 servers .......... make a demo of the player concerned and review it at your leisure.

I think it a wast of pbbans time.. the streaming requirements for the full steaming admins are not that hard to do,,

Not that it's hard to do at all, the issue PBBans and others run into is not all clans can afford a website right off the start.

I applaud PBBans for this innovative approach. Nice Job

Not that it's hard to do at all, the issue PBBans and others run into is not all clans can afford a website right off the start.

I applaud PBBans for this innovative approach. Nice Job

In this day and age there are actually some pretty good free website hosting companies out there, and no I'm not talking about a gametracker page. But companies like enjin, will host a clan website complete with forums. Don't expect the bells and whistles but it's a damn good start for free.

Not having a clan website, isn't an excuse for a group these days, you just gotta know what's out there. Having an active forum is another issue all together though.

Hoping more groups jump on board!

Edited by Crotan
  • Upvote 1

In this day and age there are actually some pretty good free website hosting companies out there, and no I'm not talking about a gametracker page. But companies like enjin, will host a clan website complete with forums. Don't expect the bells and whistles but it's a damn good start for free.

Not having a clan website, isn't an excuse for a group these days, you just gotta know what's out there. Having an active forum is another issue all together though.

Hoping more groups jump on board!

But keep in mind there are groups of friends that all play together but don't want to create anything official. Even though they have servers and want to protect them.
  • Upvote 2

I myself have a Nuke Evolution Extreme site, but back in the day when I first started gaming there were no free sites (yes, i have been gaming for many years).

I agree there are options out there (now) for those who want a "gaming community" or "clan".

Jimbo brings up a very valid point, some don't want to manage and maintain a clan, alot of us old heads who have ran clans can tell you it's a time consuming task, if your clan is of any significant size.

I still applaud PBBans for this approach, it's Inclusive as to where the older policy model was Exclusionary.

Great Job.

• 4 weeks later...

@Maydax

Does this come on the heals of the issues that came from the attempted establishment of a relationship with GGC streaming?

Many of the questions that I have found on the GGC site had to deal with why does pbbans need such strict requirements for people to stream? Especially (as another person stated) most of the clans lock down their site after they are streaming so you can't check their membership or for other reasons.

It was done to give people who can't meet the website requirement a way to use PBBans while keeping our strict requirements in place for those who can. Some just want live ban enforcement which is what the lite option offers plus a little more.

There have been no fake bans submitted to PBBans on a mass scale since we made the strict requirements in 2008. Have there been fake bans sent to PBBans on a much smaller scale? Maybe, but there is really no way to tell without human interaction and even then it may not be easy to see. That applies to anyone that receives PB logs in real time (streaming) from PunkBuster servers.

I see no point in covering up the risks and why we have the strict requirements.

Especially (as another person stated) most of the clans lock down their site after they are streaming so you can't check their membership or for other reasons.

there are teams that have made alternative arrangements with PBBans concerning access to forums, etc for security reasons

this is considered on a case by case basis

not to say that all teams that have locked down their sites have.

with ~12k teams, registering for each site would be impossible

@Magnet,

I have been around pbbans far longer than this account. I remember when pbbans was covering just sof2 and a few other games. Since even then, people have locked down thier forums and do not give an account of who is on their roster on their main site. They make it viewable just to get streaming and then take it out. To have such requirements means the responsibility of treating all fairly and checking up on such requirements, don't you think ?

@Maydax

I guess my thought is, why should all be "punished" with having to adhere to such strict rules/requirements, while others can now get a lite option and still have worry free streaming bans. I mean, let's face it, you are going to stream your server if you have hacks and cheats in your clan?

People that are here want to be here and, WANT the streaming and everything that it is capable of doing. Some don't want to run a clan (as has been said ), or have need of running a website. Why should this now be a requirement at all.

In actuality, we have had this conversation before maydax. Many years ago actually. When Depetris was around.

Edited by DSPSysop

Nobody is being punished, all actions that have been taken in the course of events over the years have always been in the best interest of helping and protecting the SGAs as well as PBBans. So far, apart from a few different points of view (such as you can read here: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/pbbans-being-strict-t154053.html), everybody who wanted to benefit from streaming and at the same time have the ability to look up players as well as use various other tools PBBans provides, put in a little bit of effort and met the streaming requirements. The streaming requirements are there for a reason (follow up on that here: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/streaming-requirements-t147669.html).

Always keep in mind that PBBans and streaming isn't mandatory, everybody has to make their own decision if they want to use it or not. As you put it -

People that are here want to be here and, WANT the streaming and everything that it is capable of doing
and from what I've seen so far, the little bit of effort that's neccessary to meet the requirements is well worth what you get in return - as you can gather from various forum posts :)
  • Upvote 1

@DSPSyon

I can not believe I am having to explain things to someone who has been around as long as you have but here goes.

You have been streaming servers since April 2008 so you should be aware of just why the requirements for streaming were tightened up.

Since the requirements were introduced in 2008 we have not been hit with mass faked bans again.

The main thing we want to keep intact is banlist integrity .. having the requirements in place goes a long way to us achieving that.

The Lite streaming catches go on an unofficial banlist that our admins have the choice of enforcing or not.

So if ever a mass fake ban wave hits us through a Lite streaming server, the main MBI integrity is kept intact.

If you think your being "punished" feel free to switch to Lite streaming.

Here is some light reading for you;

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/pbbans-recent-events-t64420.html

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/streaming-requirements-t147669.html

We think the Lite streaming option and the restrictions a Lite streaming admin has imposed, when compared to full streaming admins like yourself is a decent compromise

• Upvote 1

@Lluuu:

Perhaps " Punished " was the wrong word. ;)

@fozzer:Don't get so defensive, it's a chat so relax. I have been streaming this clans servers since then, I have been around far longer than that I assure you.

The issue that I have is, why do the lite at all, it just makes the admins have to make a decision on whether or not a ban is processed. You guys are doing that on standard bans already. If people are going to want to use the service, they will get the requirements in line and use it then.

" Oh sorry, you don't meet the requirements, but here, here is a lighter service you can use that will help you", Doing for those that didn't want to meet the requirements in the first place is commendable, but let's face it, if there are those out there that are streaming and hiding their hackers, it would have probably been better to work on a method of closing shop on them than giving more to a Lite Service.

At this point, it makes Pbbans look exactly as GGC (or rather members at GGC) are calling it. Bullshit. Not my thoughts, just saying, that is what is being said. The LIte streaming came up as a marketable idea because they (GGC) allow you to stream with them with less strict requirements.

The Lite streaming option, amongst other things, gives server admins a perfect opportunity to take a look see before committing to full streaming.

We can give reticent admins a streaming option and at the same time keep the integrity of the MBI intact.

Members at GGC can say what they want, but it's not PBBans that has been hit repeatedly with mass fake bans since 2008 is it.

People in glass houses and all that .. and I have been around here a long time too btw :P

• Upvote 2

Members at GGC can say what they want, but it's not PBBans that has been hit repeatedly with mass fake bans since 2008 is it.

People in glass houses and all that .. and I have been around here a long time too btw :P

Add to that a simple google search of "The Unerring Punkbuster season 3"

01-23-2012, 02:30 AM

We are bringing back the unerring of punkbuster back for a 3rd season. We have selected ggc-stream as the target since they have the most streaming bf3 servers and makes it very easy to add fake bans.

In 2011 we hit them with a mass ban wave and now were are banning real players from battlelog while ggc-stream is totally unaware. We have framed 150+ bf3 players alone.

We even hit them a few days ago with another mass wave of bans.

Caused quite the stir for EA if I recall.

• Upvote 2

At this point, it makes Pbbans look exactly as GGC (or rather members at GGC) are calling it. Bullshit. Not my thoughts, just saying, that is what is being said. The LIte streaming came up as a marketable idea because they (GGC) allow you to stream with them with less strict requirements.

I think those members should maybe look at their own houses before getting involved in what occurs here :) We have repeatedly said data from lite streamers is not added to the MPI. New bans from those servers are added to an unofficial ban list which people can either enforce or not. That said, we do run checks even on those who decide lite streaming is the way to go. Something i am sure still doesn't occur for full streaming functions elsewhere.

• Upvote 5

Everyone has the right to the protection of PBbans,

If you look at most of the denials is member list, or web pages,

The security system is maintained in a safe corner, giving you the option of keeping their Pbbans secure server, why deny it?

PBBans is a community Anti-cheat, it does ....

for comparison with GGC? , An independent community, which has nothing to do with PBbans, and the fight Cheater part, not about which is which,

without entering into comparisons, each community on its website, and not let more fuel to the fire

Respect is a right, not an option , is not it?

PBbans always acted and has proven to be responsible, always protecting the innocent and punish the guilty ....

Pbbans to always proved to be great, not by the amount of Ban, or Server, for being particularly safe

No doubt in PBbans, and my support 100%

I am proud, to transmit PBbans,

who does not?

For that deny protection to another admin?

Sorry for my bad english

regard.

Edited by david2003

• 2 months later...
- Player data from servers are not entered into the Master Player Index (MPi).

- New bans are entered into the Unofficial MBi. There are also no ban announcements for any ban added to the Unofficial MBi.

- No PBSS or Demo submissions.

- Streaming Lite Admins have limited access to the Master Player Index (MPi).

- Streaming Lite Admins do not have access to the same forum areas as Streaming Admins.

My question here is about PBSS and lite servers/streamers.

If an account is Lite and is lite streaming to PBBans. Any hacker caught PunkBuster violation will be added to the uMBi correct?

But what about PBSS, I understand that lite PBSS can't be added to the MBi. But couldn't they be added to the uMBi instead?

Edited by Singh400