Name Hacks possible?

Mister.E

Hi,

Our server admin team is aware of a possible hacker on our servers. Logs basically provide undeniable evidence.

While we are in the process of gathering the necessary proof, I thought it might be worth considering the possibility that the player may have been name-hacked?

I recall this was possible in BF2, but having only been on our BC2 admin team for a little while, I'm not familiar with all of the nasties that are getting around.

Can anyone advise if such a thing is possible in BC2, that may provide a legitimate reason for this players log activity? If not, it will certainly make our job a lot easier in levelling the accusation and taking appropriate action.

Cheers, E.

To the best of my knowledge, name hacks which try to fool the game server & other game clients are not possible in BFBC2.

EA's master servers inform the game server of both the EA account ID and soldier name of any joining player.

Both the PunkBuster GUID and the EA GUID in BFBC2 is based off the EA account ID. So one EA account = one PB GUID + one EA GUID. The GUIDs are not dependent on which soldier is chosen.

• Upvote 4

Kalms, from DICE, has been made aware of the two topics; he's travelling at the moment but is going to get someone to look into the issue.

Maybe you should send him a PM? click here.

Hopefully he'll be able to help rectify any suspicious account activity with the involvement of EA Support.

Hello guys,

I am from the Battlefield community (BFBrasil - http://www.bfbrasil.com) where all of this started. I've read all the posts about this issue and I am here to say some things.

Some from the community believe that they are "hacking" these soldiers using EA Support. I tried to change a soldier from an account to another using Live Chat. You can do that with the email and the date of birth of your victim. You can easily find these information in a forum. I know that you should never let people know your personal information but EA should change this method of confirming the identity of the user to something more secure like sending a code to the email of the user and the user needs to reply that code to the support agent. The administrator of a huge community can steal soldiers from all that are registered at his forum.

In my opinion this is something more related to EA Support security weakness than a EA servers breach or something like that.

My hope is that Kalms or someone with "power" at EA reads this and takes a look at this issue and makes EA Support safer.

The transcription of the Live Chat:

Hi, my name is Allyn. How may I help you?

V.G.: Hi

Allyn: Hello

Allyn: Please tell me the name of the game and the platform on which you plays it.

V.G.: Battlefield Bad Company 2

V.G.: PC

V.G.: I need to change a soldier of Bad Company 2 from an old account to this new account

V.G.: Is that possible?

Allyn: In order to further assist you with this issue, I will need these information: Email account associated with the soldier: Soldier name: Date of birth: Your email account and date of birth:

Allyn: Yes

Allyn: Provide me the information asked above to have the changes,

Kalm is trying to help me I would love it to thrive and very unfair because what is happening to me and some other Brazilian players in some cases, the hacker has stolen the only other soldier like my whole account he stole the game in the afternoon April 23 I could no longer even play the game, obviously atmorning of the 24th my puppet spam PB ban has won the hacker was able to harm me and some Brazilian players

Hi guys, just happen to me the same thing that happened to spam

And I wonder what I can do about it?

nick is napobar

following the ban.

http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-viewban-b42abdbb-vb216724.html

I was playing at the moment thatt happened with some friends, my game falls and I could not login after that

In the same time my friends saw me on a server, and unfortunately it was banned after this.

E-mail send to EA Games

Customer via via CSS Web 04/23/2011 03:34 PM

Good afternoon,

would like to inform you that namerack hacker is using to transfer the soldier from one account to another e-mail and get hold of it, using aimbot and wallhack to tarnish the good players.

I would ask aaten

If the ban is valid it won't be removed.

As long as you didn't generate the ban then you won't be sanctioned against here.

EA/DICE should really compensate you with a new CDKey if they messed up.

The player had his account hacked and should be unbanned.

Everyone in Brazil knows spam and you know he is not cheater

That maybe, but if the ban was lifted on his pbguid that would mean that the person who stole his game cd key would be free to roam around cheating again.

That is not going to happen, we will never lift a valid ban from our systems.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the IP's attached to the ban are all from Brazil and are truly dynamic, they seem to issue a new IP every day :blink:

If EA's lax security is the reason that players game cd keys are being compromised, the onus is on them to provide all those affected with a new game cd key and at the same time, tighten up their procedures.

Fozzer,

I understand they put the giant Brazil is a country to ban the hacker took my key in Rio de Janeiro and I am so Santos-SP and a distance of 507 KM, I also have spam SSs where my soldier is in two keys as posted in link

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1399294-warning-account-stolen-hack-2.html

could actually make an exception for this case!

could actually make an exception for this case!

If you're asking for us to lift your ban then we won't period, it's a valid violation unless we hear otherwise.

The bigger picture in reality is that you are no longer a unique player for that key, someone else can get it banned and you'll end up back in a circle (if we even did consider lifting it, we won't). You may even need to link the new key to a new EA account to prevent receiving the same PB GUID in game (once it's linked that's it... ask EA for advice).

I have received a new Cd-key from EA since they know this is their mistake, however my nick is still dirty in PBBans as is in Competitions. This is unfair not only with me but also with my clan, after all, it was not me who got banned but another person with bad intentions. That's why I need this ban removed, not because of my Soldier but mostly because my name appears in every competition, hurting the clan's image wich I'm leader.

I appreciate what you're saying but the violation is valid; this is a public thread so I'd suggest you link to it if you're questioned over the ban.

Besides all bans are likely indexed throughout Google so there's no way to escape a record of it.

No, EA have no control over bans on our MBi.

If a bannable violation is issued by PBBans then it's at our discretion to enforce or lift.

If a bannable violation is issued by EvenBalance then it's up to EvenBalance to tell us it is a false violation, at which point we will remove all bans enforced by PBBans for that violation code.

There is a direct contact with EVENBALANCE?

You can personally contact EvenBalance, click http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-viewban-d3bd5595-vb216713.html and follow the appeal this ban button instructions.

However, I don't think you quite comprehend how this process works... the only instance in which we'd lift the ban is if EvenBalance tells us AIMBOT #50120 is an invalid violation (false positive). This would mean us lifting bans for 2,171 players, who play BFBC2, for a violation which they've stuck by and said is positive -- just can't see it happening.

You can personally contact EvenBalance, click http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-viewban-d3bd5595-vb216713.html and follow the appeal this ban button instructions.

However, I don't think you quite comprehend how this process works... the only instance in which we'd lift the ban is if EvenBalance tells us AIMBOT #50120 is an invalid violation (false positive). This would mean us lifting bans for 2,171 players, who play BFBC2, for a violation which they've stuck by and said is positive -- just can't see it happening.

There should be a manual way of removing my ban but I understand it is hard!