Multiple cod4 instalations

bartman

When running 3 versions of COD4 on a dedi box , do i have to have 3 seperate full cod4 folders?

As that is the way i have it atm , but am looking to run them from 1 main cod4 folder due to hard drive space.

But the problem is how do i assign each its own PB folder for screenshots and different pb configs ?

what do most other people here do that run multiple servers?

thanks

I'm a server admin, is there anything special that needs to be done in order to run multiple game servers with PB from the same server computer?

Yes. Each instance of the game server must have its fs_savepath server cvar set to a distinct location. Fs_homepath can be set on the command line that launches the server and admins should set up a separate directory for each running server instance and make sure the various running servers point to those separate directories. For example, say you have servers A, B and C. You can create the following directories:

/users/whatever/cod4-a

/users/whatever/cod4-b

/users/whatever/cod4-c

Then in your command line for launching server A, add "+set fs_savepath /users/whatever/cod4-a" to the other parameters you have. Add similar corresponding items to the command lines for servers B and C. By doing the above, the multiple PB servers don't conflict with each other during updates.

Source: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=faq-cod4.php

I do not use full installs but 1 main installation (depends per game but it does well for cod4).

Each user has his own homepath with his own config files and pb folder. He can add custom content to his own main or mods folder.

Edited by DS-Dennis

I have read that info before from the evenbalance webby , but when i tried that all i got was no iwd files in main dir error

If you are on linux and just have updated from v1.3 to 1.4, you may have forgotten to upload iw_12.iwd in your main folder of the main installation of your game?

Quote you console error here perhaps for a better debug on this issue?

Server is windows.

I am pretty sure i am messing up in the start up line , should the fs_homepath and fs_savepath have quotes ? e.g fs_homepath"cod4/server1"

can you post one of your complete start up lines so i can see what order u have the settings in.

You can compare but my installs are all linux.

$BASEPATH/cod4_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set net_IP $IP +set net_port $PORT +set fs_basepath $BASEPATH +set fs_homepath $HOMEPATH +set fs_savepath $HOMEPATH +set fs_game $GAMETYPE +exec $SERVERCONFIG +sv_maxclients $MAXPLAYERS +map $STARTMAP +pb_sv_update

$BASEPATH = Path to game install dir (example: /usr/local/games/cod4 or C:\Program Files\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare)

$HOMEPATH = Path to users home dir (example: /home/dennis/.callofduty4 or C:\Program Files\dennis\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare)

$GAMETYPE = Servers game type (example: mods/modwarfare)

cod4_lnxded => This would be iw3mp.exe on windows based servers of course

$IP = Servers IP address

$PORT = Servers game port

$SERVERCONFIG = Servers config file to exec

Hope this will be helpfull to you.

Otherwise I'll look into it by installing it myself at an WindowsXP system. Always nice to learn some :)

Edited by DS-Dennis

arrrrrr must be getting late :P

no matter what i try i just keep getting the following error instantly i launch the game ,, resulting in the game crashing / freezing.

error :

Error during initialization:

No IWD files found in /main

here is the startup line

C:\cod4\iw3mp.exe +set fs_basepath "C:\cod4" +set fs_homepath "C:\cod4\vfor1" +set fs_savepath "C:\cod4\vfor1" +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 61.19.223.82 +set net_port 28960 +exec server1.cfg +map mp_bog

then the folder structure is :

main game instalation = C:\cod4

server1 instalation : C:\cod4\vfor1

C:\cod4\iw3mp.exe +set fs_basepath "C:\cod4" +set fs_homepath "C:\cod4\vfor1" +set fs_savepath "C:\cod4\vfor1" +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 61.19.223.82 +set net_port 28960 +exec server1.cfg +map mp_bog

then the folder structure is :

main game instalation = C:\cod4

server1 instalation : C:\cod4\vfor1

Copy iw_12.iwd to each main folder C:\cod4\vfor1\main, C:\cod4\vfor2\main, etc. It's a bug with 1.4 and Windows. May also have to put +set sv_punkbuster 1 in your command line to get pb to work.

well if this helps i just created two cod4 servers on my win dedi with the command lines taken from yours bartman only made a little adjustment

server 1: C:\cod4\iw3mp.exe +set fs_basepath "C:\cod4" +set fs_homepath "C:\cod4\vfor1" +set fs_savepath "C:\cod4\vfor1_01" +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 81.19.223.24 +set net_port 28960 +exec server.cfg +map mp_bog

server 2: C:\cod4\iw3mp.exe +set fs_basepath "C:\cod4" +set fs_homepath "C:\cod4\vfor2" +set fs_savepath "C:\cod4\vfor2_02" +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 81.19.223.24 +set net_port 28961 +exec server.cfg +map mp_crash

both servers ran np ;)

Copy iw_12.iwd to each main folder C:\cod4\vfor1\main, C:\cod4\vfor2\main, etc. It's a bug with 1.4 and Windows. May also have to put +set sv_punkbuster 1 in your command line to get pb to work.

Thanks added an iwd file to the main dir ,, and all worked fine after that.

thanks to everyone for thir help :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this sounds dumb... But I'm really new to setting up COD4 servers. I currently have one running but I would like another instance running for our clan. I have read this thread but I'm stuck and not sure if I need to copy the COD4 completely for each instance. Also not sure what vfor1 or vfor2 means in the directories above. Any assistance would be great. Once again I apologize for my newbness.

• 1 month later...

mkay; i'm getting this identical error, went through all this myself over and over again, can't seem to solve it, maybe somebody can catch what i've done

using nix:

basepath=''/usr/cod4'

homepath='usr/pam4srv'

savepath='usr/pam4srv'

mod='mods/pam4'

-> rest is irrevelant

$srvBinpath/cod4_lnxded +set net_IP $ip +set net_port $port +set dedicated 2 +set fs_basepath $basepath +set fs_homepath $homepath +set fs_savepath $savepath +set fs_game $mod +exec common.cfg +exec $srvSpc +map_rotate

i did a "ln -s" for all the iwd files, after that failed, i even copied some, still no go :(

thanks yoz

Edit: yer, don't reply to this, i fixed it, single typeo in the basepath, a hidden character!

Sorry if this sounds dumb... But I'm really new to setting up COD4 servers. I currently have one running but I would like another instance running for our clan. I have read this thread but I'm stuck and not sure if I need to copy the COD4 completely for each instance. Also not sure what vfor1 or vfor2 means in the directories above. Any assistance would be great. Once again I apologize for my newbness.

check out This Site (FPS-Admin's) for a guide on multi-instances, there's also more posts there but that's the one i remember ;)

GL

Edited by v33k

• 10 months later...

I'm running linux, and I'm trying to set up the multiple account on the single install.

Here is my console output below...

# /home/gamefiles/cod4core/cod4_lnxded set dedicated 2 +set net_IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx +set net_port 28960 +set fs_basepath /home/gamefiles/cod4core +set fs_homepath /home/testserver/.callofduty +set fs_savepath /home/testserver/.callofduty +exec server.cfg +sv_maxclients 20 +map mp_crash +pb_sv_update

CoD4 MP 1.7 build linux-i386 Jun 28 2008
begin $init
----- FS_Startup -----
Current language: english
Current search path:
/home/testserver/.callofduty/main
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_13.iwd (265 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_12.iwd (33 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_11.iwd (448 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_10.iwd (230 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_09.iwd (447 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_08.iwd (66 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_07.iwd (34 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_06.iwd (416 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_05.iwd (716 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_04.iwd (765 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_03.iwd (670 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_02.iwd (1296 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_01.iwd (1456 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/iw_00.iwd (1054 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main_shared
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/players
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw06.iwd (7 files)
localized assets iwd file for english
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw05.iwd (1338 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw04.iwd (1730 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw03.iwd (3705 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw02.iwd (3483 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw01.iwd (3181 files)
/home/gamefiles/cod4core/main/localized_english_iw00.iwd (2903 files)

File Handles:
----------------------
24243 files in iwd files
Adding channel: error
Adding channel: gamenotify
Adding channel: boldgame
Adding channel: subtitle
Adding channel: obituary
Adding channel: logfile_only
Adding channel: console_only
Adding channel: gfx
Adding channel: sound
Adding channel: files
Adding channel: devgui
Adding channel: profile
Adding channel: ui
Adding channel: client
Adding channel: server
Adding channel: system
Adding channel: playerweap
Adding channel: ai
Adding channel: anim
Adding channel: physics
Adding channel: fx
Adding channel: leaderboards
Adding channel: parserscript
Adding channel: script
No channels added or hidden
Adding channel: gamenotify
Adding channel: obituary
Adding channel: boldgame
Adding channel: subtitle
execing default_mp.cfg from disk
execing default_mp_controls.cfg from disk
execing default_mp_gamesettings.cfg from disk
execing server_map.cfg from disk
execing language.cfg from disk
dedicated is read only.
fs_basepath is write protected.
fs_homepath is write protected.
Opening IP socket: 64.27.18.147:28960
Hostname: eon.kilo-hosting.com
Alias: eon
IP: 216.240.128.50
dedicated is read only.
fs_basepath is write protected.
fs_homepath is write protected.
end $init 338 ms
Loading fastfile code_post_gfx_mp
Loading fastfile localized_code_post_gfx_mp
Loading fastfile ui_mp
Loading fastfile common_mp
Loading fastfile localized_common_mp
Sys_Error: Error during initialization:
ERROR: Could not find zone '/home/testserver/zone/english/code_post_gfx_mp.ff'

My concern is that it shouldn't be looking in /home/testserver/ for the zone file, it should be looking for the files in the core folder, where I have 6GB of server files. How do I stop it from doing this?

• 12 years later...

Sorry that i bump up this old one here but .... i recognized that there is no additional PB folder inside the mods directory so when you start a server with different Port but same directory as the others and with a mod .... how does PBBans/PunkBuster deal with it ? Does it matter ? Or is 1x seperated installation per mod better ? So they have also seperated PB folders ?