MSG PB SS Viewer

{MSG}Goose

pwf_skabby said, "Yes I could [open via FTP], but then my server requests me to input my pw everytime the htm page pulls an .png from it for viewing."

With Firefox v2.0.0.11 on Windows XP and (I think) a Windows 2000 server, I am not asked to provide my credentials as long as my user ID and password are provided in the URL. Firefox hides the credentials from the address field but retains them.

What web browser and platforms are you on?

I think it just updated though, I think it was version 1.x when I had to keep inputin my pw... Let me generate some more ss's and I'll get back to you.

Your web app rocks though, seriously love it.

I was having the problem where i had to input the password for every picture that loaded too. I was however using ftp://[username]@[iP address]/COD4/pb/svss/msgpbssv.html. I didnt put the password in the web address and entered it manually once i connected to the site. When i put the password into the web address I was never asked again.

Just tried it and works good. However I noticed on the left side where the player info is displayed needs to be widened just abit. It cuts off the ends of the pbguid.

Thanks for such a great display.

One more thing. I'm running this by going into my server's control panel, navigating to the ss folder, then clicking on the html file.

If I try the ftp://name:pw, etc.. it shows the html code rather than the actual output of the page, as if I'm viewing it in a text editor.

Ahh ok i tried this through the control panel and it seems to load the page, but the images dont show, just stays stuck on loading player screenshot index

I think this is because it's trying to look for the files locally, rather than on my server...any ideas?

I'm trying this in IE and it seems to stick on "building viewer objects...". I can't use FireFox because I'm at work and I prefer to use IE at home. Has anyone else gotten it to work in IE?

Does your machine have a USB port? you can load Firefox on a U3 enabled USB stick, thats what I do for Xfire and Firefox

From the website...

"Why doesn't it work with Internet Explorer v7?

For an FTP connection, IE presents the Viewer's HTML file as a text file, instead of rendering it as though it were received from a web server. One could argue that is reasonable behavior but it does not help remote access to the screenshots on a server lacking a web server. Also, some web browser concepts — for the curious, DOM's "undefined" — are not supported by IE but they are employed by the Viewer. Alternatives exist but the time has not been invested to implement them."

Folks, we should take this Viewer's specifics to the MSG forum for it, no?

I'm not sure what the "control panels" are so it's tough to answer questions about them.

Edited by {MSG}Goose

From the website...

"Why doesn't it work with Internet Explorer v7?

For an FTP connection, IE presents the Viewer's HTML file as a text file, instead of rendering it as though it were received from a web server. One could argue that is reasonable behavior but it does not help remote access to the screenshots on a server lacking a web server. Also, some web browser concepts

Ok, I almost got it working in IE. I went into Internet Options, Security, Custom Level. I scrolled down to "Open files based on content, not file extension" and disabled it.

I FTP into my game server via IE, navigate to the screenshot folders and click on the msgpbssv.html file and it starts, but it stops on Building Viewer Objects.

Nice find, on the IE FTP behavior. I'll bet you've got a Javascript error indicator in the lower left corner of your IE window. The Viewer uses a bit of Javascript that is not supported by IE. Figuring IE would not get past the FTP issue, it didn't seem worth the effort to change. Now it would seem to be so. I'll look at it (but I've got some serious Christmas shopping to attend to so it may take a while).

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to reproduce your result. Given the Viewer's layout, I can only repeat from the FAQ: "Maximize your window, increase screen resolution (from Desktop | Properties | Settings), or make your text size smaller (by using Ctrl--

"So simple?" I worked to make it seem simple. :)

It's a class bit of work {MSG}Goose :) and much appreciated re the time and effort you have put into this project of yours.

A big thanks from me personally and even bigger thanks for sharing it with us.

Version 1.03 is out. It provides an option to use Orangepeel's PBSS plugin for zooming and gamma correction. No subsequent versions are on the drawing board (but that's what I said about 1.02).