Killing Floor 2

MaydaX

Since shipping World War II FPS Red Orchestra 2 in 2011, Tripwire has dedicated itself to the sticky art of digital dismemberment for the sequel to 2009's co-op wave-based shooter. They want each and every exploded brain, severed leg and bloody gutshot to look unique. Bill Munk, creative director and senior animator at Tripwire, has a saying: Red Orchestra is realism. Killing Floor is coolism.

"Killing Floor is a simple game," says Munk. "You have weapons. You see something that looks messed up. And you kill it. You get money for doing it and you buy better weapons. Rinse and repeat. The more enjoyable that small little loop is, the more successful the game is."

Munk is one of Tripwire's co-founders. He couldn't hide his enthusiasm for games if he tried; over dinner, he gushes about how he played a borrowed copy of Metal Gear Solid in his college dorm for an entire weekend, substituting caffeine for sleep. When Munk talks about Killing Floor 2, most of his sentences end with "as sick as possible."

"This project on an animation end has been a dream come true for me," he says. “This is the first time we had the budget for me to do mocap for everything and try to make everything look as sick as possible."

When Munk says everything, he means it. The gun animations are mocapped. Melee is mocapped for first- and third-person perspectives. Killing Floor 2 is still a simple game. But this time, it looks good.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/08/killing-floor-2-exclusive-first-look-co-op-fps-horror-with-the-most-advanced-gore-system-ever/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i have this for PC. just not as engrossing as KF1, for some reason

You think so?  I love KF1 but I can't abide KF2.  The game has had a lot of changes since release but for me it was too late, When they start adding auto lock on and auto aim weapons I lose interest very quickly.  I won't even get into the MTs and crate drops as they don't affect gameplay but it's something I really dislike in any game, even more so if it's a follow up to my fav game :(

You think so?  I love KF1 but I can't abide KF2.  The game has had a lot of changes since release but for me it was too late, When they start adding auto lock on and auto aim weapons I lose interest very quickly.  I won't even get into the MTs and crate drops as they don't affect gameplay but it's something I really dislike in any game, even more so if it's a follow up to my fav game :(

the only time i play kf2 is when some of my old kf1 buddies invite me. i don't think any of them play kf2 regularly. 

the only time i play kf2 is when some of my old kf1 buddies invite me. i don't think any of them play kf2 regularly. 

I don't think a lot of KF1 players do, the dev made a post some time ago asking why KF1 players were not moving to KF2, the replies were more or less the same, casual, MT's, crate system, auto lock on, no atmosphere, etc.

This was my reply in that thread:

No disrespect but the fact that you have to ask is why a lot of your hardcore fans are not even playing.

I've moved onto another game so hopefully the replies you get here won't fall on deaf ears.

i had such high hopes for TWI.

It's not that the game is bad, graphically it's superior to KF1 in every way but I'm not impressed by flashy graphics and their launch did a lot of damage I think, it was the same with RO2, Tripwire never seem to learn and always mess up a launch.  It's had updates since then but a lot of the long time players of KF1 had either lost interest or moved on.  The sad thing about that is they wanted to appeal to a new type of player, these are the sort of people that expect and demand an update or something new every month, I hope Tripwire can deliver because these people will be gone in a heartbeat.

Certain things I do like about the game but a lot of things I don't.

I have over 3,200 hours in KF1 but less than 20 in KF2 and then I removed it from my Steam account.

It's not that the game is bad, graphically it's superior to KF1 in every way but I'm not impressed by flashy graphics and their launch did a lot of damage I think, it was the same with RO2, Tripwire never seem to learn and always mess up a launch.  It's had updates since then but a lot of the long time players of KF1 had either lost interest or moved on.  The sad thing about that is they wanted to appeal to a new type of player, these are the sort of people that expect and demand an update or something new every month, I hope Tripwire can deliver because these people will be gone in a heartbeat.

Certain things I do like about the game but a lot of things I don't.

I have over 3,200 hours in KF1 but less than 20 in KF2 and then I removed it from my Steam account.

This might be something that you might want to consider posting on their site about here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2/killing-floor-2-general/ideas-and-suggestions-ae

It is a good suggestion and maybe if others will say the same thing, then TWI will listen. I agree with your statement though. They do have game launch mishaps.

This might be something that you might want to consider posting on their site about here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2/killing-floor-2-general/ideas-and-suggestions-ae

It is a good suggestion and maybe if others will say the same thing, then TWI will listen. I agree with your statement though. They do have game launch mishaps.

I've already spoken to Yoshiro Taz, wished him well for the game but said it's not for me.

With regards to their launches, only they can sort that out, it might not be the fault of Tripwire this time in a way, player expectation for KF2 was huge and that can go either way once it's released as early access, players expect a certain standard when it's released and it only takes one player to be disappointed and post on the forums and other people will notice that and maybe start questioning that design choice/idea themselves.  It snowballs from there.

Bringing in a new team was the best thing they ever did, they seemed to take hold of the game and put more focus on what direction they wanted to go, top marks for that!

Typo :P

Edited by xX_Renegade_Xx

i don't think early access did kf2 or twi any favors

It was good in some ways but bad in others, their decision to go with MTs and crate drops was not welcomed at all, then you have the addition of PvP, what?  KF has never been about PvP and I believe it's still currently dead and has been since it was added.

Add to that some of the weapons, commando for example which is my fav perk, the weapons are so similar.  When you compare it to KF1, pick up an AK or a SCAR and the feedback from the weapon is perfect, you know exactly what weapon you're using, I didn't get the same feedback from KF2.

The weapons also feel very weak and sound terrible, like airsoft weapons.

The new zed abilities are very good, able to run, dodge and block but the player can also block and run away from everything, I believe every perk in the game can outrun any zed, where's the threat if that's possible?  You can even block or parry a Fleshpound, the most dangerous zed in the game besides the bosses :o

I've seen FPs wipe a whole team in seconds in KF1, now you just run away :P

It was good in some ways but bad in others, their decision to go with MTs and crate drops was not welcomed at all, then you have the addition of PvP, what?  KF has never been about PvP and I believe it's still currently dead and has been since it was added.

Add to that some of the weapons, commando for example which is my fav perk, the weapons are so similar.  When you compare it to KF1, pick up an AK or a SCAR and the feedback from the weapon is perfect, you know exactly what weapon you're using, I didn't get the same feedback from KF2.

The weapons also feel very weak and sound terrible, like airsoft weapons.

The new zed abilities are very good, able to run, dodge and block but the player can also block and run away from everything, I believe every perk in the game can outrun any zed, where's the threat if that's possible?  You can even block or parry a Fleshpound, the most dangerous zed in the game besides the bosses :o

I've seen FPs wipe a whole team in seconds in KF1, now you just run away :P

i agree totally

some of my friends keep trying to make the PvP work, i'm not a fan

i agree totally

some of my friends keep trying to make the PvP work, i'm not a fan

I've not tried it so can't say if it's good or bad, I stopped playing the game before it was added.  It might take off on the consoles but I think it was a mistake for the PC and for the game in general, the time wasted on it could have been better spent imo.

• 2 weeks later...