GUMP HERE

GUMP

I have recently received a new version of that s4ndmod i hd been talking about. This mod came with a bunch of extra features as well as better banning. I was wondering if I could e-mail this mod to someone who knows about this stuff and perhaps they could take a look at it and tell me what they think. I am in no rush so if someone will look at it they can take their time in doing so. Thanks and god bless. [email protected] http://www.rkuprising.com

Edited by GUMP

I have recently received a new version of that s4ndmod i hd been talking about. This mod came with a bunch of extra features as well as better banning. I was wondering if I could e-mail this mod to someone who knows about this stuff and perhaps they could take a look at it and tell me what they think. I am in no rush so if someone will look at it they can take their time in doing so. Thanks and god bless.  [email protected]  http://www.rkuprising.com

you s4ndmod is a noob version of shrub and what has been posted before still applies ...without punkbuster your input here is totally useless

try contacting someone from this site;

http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/shrub/

maybe they will spot the rip off of their mod :P

• 2 months later...
Guest S4NDM4NN

you s4ndmod is a noob version of shrub and what has been posted before still applies ...without punkbuster your input here is totally useless

try contacting someone from this site;

http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/shrub/

maybe they will spot the rip off of their mod  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

S4NDMoD was made for the RTCW demo wen i was bored, then it was moved to 1.0. No I am developing a "Punk Buster" for 1.0. I am going to make mine right though.

Seeing how if you can right a line of code you can get around PunkBuster.

S4NDM4NN

move cat to pb_punkbuster

if pb_punkbuster = cat

perform by_pass

else

next sentence.

_________ :291:

by_pass

move zero to pb_punkbuster

:doomed: does that help ... lmao

QUOTE(S4NDM4NN @ Aug 25 2005, 10:12 PM)

S4NDM4NN

just that sentence alone is worth an account deletion imo

it sure is something to discuss :1_4_126:

i think he was stating that PB has flaws. I dont see him saying anything promoting hacking Punk Buster he just siad anyone who can right code can hack it. Or maybe i dont see the problem? LOL

it sure is something to discuss  :1_4_126:

Well, what does he have to offer exept critisising pb, encouraging coders to bypass pb, aint there a rule for that.......Comming from a game admin or a streaming game admin would create some concern, but from a user that do not wish to contribute to our nice site, the decision is easy to take.

He shot himself in the foot....i deleted his second account, if he joines back, ill contact him and explain why he is not welcomed here

To be honest man, he really got sidetracked into that. He int criticising it other than the odviousfact that PB is pretty much easily by passed if you have some skillz. I mean the source is open to public. If you guys dont want to hear that itt is ofcourse your right as the ones who run this board. Im jsut trying to keep him out of trouble in terms of the Hakcing PB stuff. LOL

I would also like to state that to be honest Fozzer kinda looks down on this S4ndmod we are talking abou tin this thread. He openly called it a low grade banning system and that is why my firend said back to Fozzer that PB aint all its cracked up to be. Long story short i think Fozzer asked for it a bit and they are both even now. LOL

Edited by GUMP

I would also like to state that to be honest Fozzer kinda looks down on this S4ndmod we are talking abou tin this thread. He openly called it a low grade banning system and that is why my firend said back to Fozzer that PB aint all its cracked up to be. Long story short i think Fozzer asked for it a bit and they are both even now. LOL

I am a nOOb with your game type, but I have read what was posted. If I am not mistaken, I thought I read the reason the mod is looked down upon is due to the lack of punkbuster.

If it is not punkbuster enabled, there is nothing we are interested in. We only process punkbuster violations at the moment, from punkbuster produced logs and/or screenshots.

I thought I read that you were finishing it, and the new version would be punkbuster enabled ??? If that is true, I am sure many will check it out.

Nobodys gettin bent outta shape here, just high-lighting the platform of which we play on.

Thanks for yur interest in www.pbbans.com

I hear ya dude and there is no problem what so ever, I would not have donated if i did have a problem. As for the RTCW 1.0 community gaining PB yes its true. Hopefully we can do business.

I am developing a "Punk Buster" for 1.0. I am going to make mine right though.

S4NDM4NN

that tells me that the "punkbuster" this mod used would be unofficial and therefore logs inadmissable as evidence for a cheat violation

we work hand in glove with evenbalance staff and their software, i see criticism's of punkbuster all the time in one shape or another but the fact remains, its the best anti cheat software that is available to any game on the market and if a game i like the look of has a multiplayer side and no punkbuster then i leave it on the shelf ..thats how important punkbuster is to me

rtcw was released with pb included from day one, the patches released for it fixed a hell of a lot of bugs of one shape or another ... its the players choice wether they upgrade to 1.41 all patches are available for free .. its also the players choice wether to enable pb ... whats the problem with updating and running your s4ndmod with pb preferably enabled ... i have looked the s4ndmod over and compared to shrub/osp and bani i cant see anything going for it tbh .... the one thing it has going for it at the moment is a captive audience still playing the first release of wolf :) that has any kind of support ... now the question comes up of why players choose to stay unpatched .. i stated before that i have experience of running older version servers that i had rcon to but no ftp access, when we managed to get the players on to irc or on a forum all they needed was talking through the patching process .. most of them had no idea what "server uses protocol" errors were about so just stayed unpatched and played different servers .. a hefty chunk were also on GamesDomain banlists for hack violations of one type or another .. of course there will always be exceptions to the rule, i.e players who say they like the earlier versions better, but speaking from a pbbans perspective any input they give to us is totally useless unless supported by pb sv_cheatlogs .. and as a last little thought, it has been stated earlier that i "look down" on the banning system of s4ndmod .. well i have to hold my hands up and say thats perfectly true,you say that you ban an IP range to sort out dynamic IP cheaters but dont mention filtering before banning the range,any admin that bans 65,000 ip's to get rid of one cheater is a poor one, a little detective work can limit the damage so to speak :)

here is a section of a hlsw tutorial i wrote that explains banning a dynamic IP using the old Q3 rcon method;

If the bad guys IP is static then there is no problem , first thing to check is if the filterban variable is on or off;

/rcon seta g_filterban 0/1 (0 = IP banning is off 1 = IP banning is on)

next we add the llama's IP

/rcon addIP 312.27.48.132 (pb_sv_banmask 312.27.48.132 has the same effect)

job done

if his IP is dynamic you need to do a little more work .. first stage is to collect some IP addresses he connects with .. it will look something like this;

notice that the common numbers are 312.27.48 and 312.27.32 ... what we do now is ban all IP's within that range like this

/rcon addIP 312.27.48

/rcon addIP 312.27.32

this will filter all IP's in the range of 312.27.48.0 through 312.27.48.255 and 312.27.32.0 through 312.27.32.255 this effectively bans your lamer without banning a whole IP range that affects a lot of innocent people

if we just ban the whole IP range

/rcon addIP 312.27

this bans all IP's from 312.27.48.0 through 312.27.255.255

( we get 65,000 people by multiplying 255x255)

i hear ya man. It sucks we cant stream for you. but i knew when i was getting involved with the unpatched 1.0 that i would pretty much be kicking a dead horse. either way we are happy and we love what we do. I guess we work with the tools we got and we dont get many new ones. In the end i think the effort and spirit we spend on 1.0 to coral cheaters is fuled by the same good and decent belief that the best game play is the type that is fair and balanced. I know PBBANS believes this so I think we all have the best intentions here. As for your recomendation to ban more than the first 2 sets of digits of an offenders IP, i will try this. I know it will require more investigating than our current allotment fo tiem allows, but we will attempt it.

• 2 months later...

I joined the sandmod forums a while back after I first got curious about seeing those sandmod servers and all that sandman has done is created a safe haven for the hackers. I told him so and I got banned from his forums. If he thinks his mod can be competitive with shrub and bani then I told him to go ahead and write his mod for 1.4. Right now it's just further splintering the rtcw community. Most of those people playing sandmod don't know any better or that there even are updates to RTCW that they should have installed years ago. I used to go on sandmod servers and just ask people why they hadn't updated their rtcw and they were like "what updates" and where to download them. I wish it had been made so that all servers had to be updated. Oh well, I just gave up on those people but, I do wish they'd get together with the rest of us and stop hiding back in 1.0.

PS. I do wish that we had the tools to scan a person's game directory. To be able to see what they actually have in there. That'd be the easiest way to catch hackers. Right now with MD5 we are just fishing to a file name that we might think they have. If we had the option to see what files they actually have then we'd bust a lot more hackers. I think CS has had this form of cheat protection and I sure wish we did.

Dyno

Edited by DynoSauR

S4NDMoD was made for the RTCW demo wen i was bored, then it was moved to 1.0. No I am developing a "Punk Buster" for 1.0. I am going to make mine right though.

S4NDM4NN

Why don't you make your mod for 1.4 like all the other mod creators out there and if your mod can compete against those other mods then great. All you are doing right now is fragmenting the already shrinking RTCW community and keeping the noobs who don't know anything about updating their game in the dark. At the same time that you are keeping the newcomers to RTCW in the dark you are also letting them be hacked unmercifully and that's likely why you showed up here. At least you can't ban me from this place like you did your sandmod forums where I said no more than I have said right here. Set the noobies free and make your mod for 1.4.

Dyno

Thanks Fozzer, I'm sorry I didn't notice when this thread was started but, I had some strong feelings about it after learning some details about sandmod. I recently stepped down as a TWL admin and while doing that it struck me how many people were still playing 1.0 because of sandmod. If it weren't for sandmod people would have already updated so it's just keeping them hung in the past. The gaming leagues need all the players/teams for RTCW and I hear they do have sandmod competitions and clans etc. I find this pretty ridiculous considering there is no cheat detection for any of that crap. I know pb doesn't catch everything but, in sandmod any hack ever created will likely work just fine there. Now if we could just get all the hackers to play sandmod and the legitimate players to play 1.4 we'd have it made.

LOL! This thread has been going on for quite a while. I am happy i started it. As for 1.0, I play it and many play it because we have made friends playing it. I dont know if we can be classified as retro gammers but i do know 1.0 is good enough for me. I rather 1.0 it than 1.4 whith its million server. LOL. Long story short we have no protection against cheats on 1.0 this we knew when getting involved in it. But i have made lasting relationships with people on 1.0 and i love it. :lol: The s4ndmod is a great developemnt in 1.0, it protects us form basic commands that coud crash a server, and also allows us to customize our game. Specifiacally deathmatch! Its creator s4ndman is a great guy who saw a problem and wanted to help. Ironically he thinks playing 1.0 is crazy but he wanted to help and we admire him for that.

Check us out. The coolest clan on 1.0 LOL. http://rkuprising.com

Edited by GUMP

Well since you are a game admin why don't you try to talk Sandman into making his mod for 1.4? You should know that there is an anti-server crashing patch and there is no reason why Sandman couldn't make his mod completely compatible with 1.4 and have some cheat protection. There are a lot of people playing Sandmod and 1.0 servers and it's ridiculous to anyone who wants to be up to date. The game is 4+ years old and it's time the beginning wolfers join the rest of us. Why separate a community like this? There are a lot of emtpy 1.4 servers out there just waiting to have some new players and people who play 1.4 would be glad to have a new mod to try and even more of the mod creator would run with the players suggestions on how to improve their mod. I know I wish Bani would finish up his last Banimod version since it needs a few little things done to it to finish it up right. Heck, I wish OSP would change a few things with that mod as well but, they've given up on it.. Sad to have someone working on the oldest version of RTCW and the majority of the RTCW players will never play it because of the hassle of having another RTCW application just for 1.0 and not having any cheat protection. I wish the game manufacturer would make it so that people had to update their game to continue playing it.

sadly the platinum pack release of RTCW comes auto updated to 1.4. I email ID amny times and tried /autoupdate 0 and some other stuff, but twas inable to go to 1.0 from the new realease. Long story short if you want to play 1.0 i think ya got to go out fo your way to get it. I had to use Amazon to get an old version of the CD to have as backup. As for sandman, I know he is now working on 1.33 but i am not sure what he is doing. On a persoanl note i dont' realy see why it matter if peopel play 1.0 more often now. Some come to hack i accept this, but others come to get away form the massiveness of 1.4, and I can relate to them. Sandmna kinda helped to level the playing field.

Edited by GUMP

Well in my opinion its jsut so damn big, but then agian i have never played anyhting other than 1.0. When i decided to check out 1.4 for the first time, i was intimidated by all the server. Its funny but i feel better when i play on 1.0 beucase its smaller. Also, someone told me that it sucks that 1.4 PB checks your CVAR and makes you lagg. I dont know about this but if its true then theres another issue.

last time i checked the european scene ..rtcw was running 193 servers ..and 7 of them running sandmod .. hardly hundreds of servers :P

btw most of them are empty ..only the good ones survive and player counts are dwindling all the time

Well in my opinion its jsut so damn big, but then agian i have never played anyhting other than 1.0.

Also, someone told me that it sucks that 1.4 PB checks your CVAR and makes you lagg.

you know i despair sometimes when i read statements like that