FairFight Anti-Cheat

MaydaX

From their site:

"FairFight uses GameBlocks' proprietary GameChanger™ (Patent Pending) rule engine and database structures to evaluate players' gameplay actions and Make it a FairFight™ for everyone. Players' actions are tested against multiple statistical markers to identify cheating as it occurs. FairFight crosschecks these indicators using objective server-side reporting tools and takes action when both approaches correlate to cheating.” FairFight's graduated penalty system (warning/restriction/suspension) has been shown to effectively suppress and deter 'cheaters' by imposing prompt and appropriate penalties automatically, while simultaneously notifying them that continued misbehavior will result in harsher penalties. "

I'm with Singh400 on this one. I remain cautiously optimistic about a new Anti-Cheat program. Here's to hoping it does a kick-ass job, but I will not be surprised if has a bunch of fine tuning needing to be done in the months after BF4's release to stop it from killing/kicking/banning legit players.

The graduated penalty system sticks out to me. If a hacker is caught, why warn them? And is a warning just killing the player and letting them know in game chat to stop playing so well? It just seems to me like they've given the software a crutch by being able to warn a player nearing their definition of hacker/cheater based on stats instead of banning them outright to minimize damage from ban appeals (and bad PR) when good players are banned. By instead simply warning (which again I'm presuming means an Admin kill) these players they minimize how "damaging" false positives are to gameplay.

Edited by Comby_McBeardz

I too am hoping it has matured since it first hit the gaming community. In my own experience with it, it just kills and yell spams me. Not the anticheat I'm looking for.

Edited by Crotan

I think the success of FairFight depends on a proper implementation.

I've seen the complaints about FairFight in BF3 and WarZ.

I've asked Sabz1337 about the implementation and what kind of cheats should be 'detected':

It depends. I would like to see an automatic detection of damage modders / magic bullets and wall-hacks. Will that be possible?

Her reply:

That is what I aim for...

If indeed FairFight can tap into the server and notice these kind of things it would maybe be useful.

If it's based on stats (killstreaks / KPM / SPM).... not so much...

i think the big gripe about faifight is that it is all about stats

That's my gripe for sure. "Professional" (as in, contracted to the company that makes the game itself) level Anti-Cheat Software should be about detecting hacks, not detecting stats that MOST LIKELY mean hacks. I'm sure their software will be great at detecting players that use damage mods, but how do you draw the line with aimbot-level accuracy? Where's the threshold between "hacker" and "good player" lie?

My gripe is different, it may catch the obvious aimbotters who you and me could spot a mile off anyway but what about the more clever hacker who uses hacks like ESP to aid his/her game. Time and time again I've read appeals that tell us to look at their stats... from players who quite clearly have been caught red handed with screenshots or MD5 detections.

After 9 months of having fairfight as the sole anti cheat deterrent and the game still being overrun with cheaters a more effective, all round anti cheat deterrent was called upon by the war z devs ........... PB.

As Surfy has already stated, anyone can apply a kick / ban to those players that join a server and 5 mins later are 35 - 0

Whats needed is the ability to detect the not so obvious cheaters who are using gamehacks / simple wallhacks / and the not so obvious aimbotters.

This is achieved by running PunkBuster™ software and enhancing that software by running the recommended MD5 tool scans provided by the third party anti cheat site of choice.

As for using cheat coders/staff members to help deter cheating, only a fool would believe that they are willing to sacrifice the monetary gains that selling cheats gives them for something that will severely dent those profits.

The golden rule for any farmer is to never ask a fox to guard the hen-house

The one thing I would like to see is EA/DICE being more proactive, and in our case more cooperative (server files), with the tried and trusted anti cheat deterrent of PunkBuster™ software enhanced by third party streaming and MD5 tool scans.

• Upvote 7

My concern is slightly different. A lot of my banning now is based on stats (i.e. Damage Mods). If the FF can detect that, great! However, how many of us here have been killed around a corner? I'm guessing a lot of us. That's down to client side hit detection. What we (the victim) experienced is impossible. What they (the killer) experienced was completely possible.

As I understand it FF sits between the the game server and DICE? Does this mean that FF is affected by lag and latency? If so, will it see the aforementioned events described as possible or impossible?

I'm concerned that there is a chasm of what DICE thinks is possible and what is actually possible. And as I understand it, it's DICE who will set the global FF rules that apply to all servers.

I'm also curious as to see what control of control it says. I'll be severely disappointed if it can only monitor information that we currently monitor (kill streaks, headshots, kills per minute). It needs to monitor more than that, and deeply analyze the information properly.

I'll be severely disappointed if it can only monitor information that we currently monitor (kill streaks, headshots, kills per minute).

get ready for the disappointment cruise ship. i would be surprised if you even see that in any context with fairfight

Looks like we'll have the option to turn off FairFight, but I think it would take the server out of Ranked status much like disabling PunkBuster currently does for BF3 servers.

dH7T2Dw.png

Fairfight is completely backend based, there will be no interaction required from Server Admins whatsoever.

I had some limited access to it during testing in BF3 because I was helping MyIs with their testing.

heres a FB post from a friend who is currently holed up with DICE in Stockholm all this week.

Funny stuff. A big cheating community is taunting gameblocks thay they have a working cheat for Battlefield4 and that they're not detected yet. Should we tell them that FairFight isn't enabled yet or let them dream on a bit longer?

I read many words around little content ("impossible") - granted, you do not tell your business concept. E.g. aimbot detection would require evaluation of "stats" quite different to the ones you might know; K/D, K/min., hits/shots etc. are arbitrary information and entirely useless. You rather needed monitoring of "uninteresting" stuff like target tracking speed, target tracking deviation, systematic or stochastic variance of tracking ... some basics of interest (a threshold concept still does not convince me, though): www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~cslui/PUBLICATION/detect_cheat.pdf (Yeung/Lui/Liu/Yan 2006); appsrv.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~cslui/PUBLICATION/mmsj_tr.pdf (Yeung/Lui 2008) - src http://appsrv.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~cslui/resume.html

• Upvote 2

I said it 8 years ago and I'll say it again, you CANNOT automate anticheat, that requires a brain and a thought process which you cannot leave out of the equasion. Look at all of our staff that have to work hard to ensure NO INNOCENT players get an accidental ban, what will they do. they have no eyes

Steve

• Upvote 3

With BF4 we will have a new advantage: spectator mode. We now can follow suspected users and see how PB and FF will react! If it is a real cheater (in our admin view) and FF is doing nothing we know enough...

• 1 month later...

I just think it's hilarious that there are terrible gamers who banded together to create a system with the sole purpose of killing talented gaming nerds based on how much they rape in a public match.

Great idea.