Diablo III

MaydaX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsgs1Q0d3s

The morning brings a trio of horror-news about Diablo III. I'm outright bewildered about what Blizzard have done, and shuddering about the likely reaction in comments. I won't muck around here, and instead shall just wade straight into the things that are probably going to end up being PC gaming's biggest controversy of 2011.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.

2) Mods are "expressly prohibited."

3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

In order, here's Blizzard's justifications:

1) "One of the things that we felt was really important was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you'd start a character, you'd get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you'd have to start a character from scratch, because there'd be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online." Also, piracy.

2) "For a variety of gameplay and security reasons, we will not be supporting bots or mods in Diablo III, and they'll be expressly prohibited by our terms of use for the game."

3) "We think it's really going to add a lot of depth to the game. If I have more money than time I can purchase items, or if I'm leet in the game I can get benefits out of it. The players really want it. This is something that we know people are going to do either way. We can provide them a really safe, awesome, fun experience, or they'll find ways of doing it elsewhere." Blizzard will take a small cut, but they're not expecting to make too much of a profit out of it themselves. They also say there'll be level caps on items, so you can't immediately shortcut to a high-level sword with a level-1 character, not matter how rich you are, plus there will also be an additional auction house that uses in-game gold. So this element of the game can, at least, be dodged entirely.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/diablo-iii-no-mods-online-only-cash-trades/

ooops

i guess i can take Diii off my "will buy no matter what" list

Punchbowled says:08/01/2011 at 11:34Well, “the appeal of single player Diablo” was sort of that you didn’t have to play multi-player Diablo, by which I mean that you didn’t have to have anything to do with the kind of people who played multi-player Diablo, who were, by and large, in my experience, the diseased gums of society.

come to think of it. i rarely played with anyone online in Dii . i would make a private and run by myself. well muleing.....does that count?

OMG they can't be serious. Am I reading this right - there is NO single player mode?

Thats how I am reading it.

Diablo I & II were guilty pleasures of mine. Not a chance in the world I'll shell out the purchace price if I am forced into an online arena.

butt

OMG they can't be serious. Am I reading this right - there is NO single player mode?

Thats how I am reading it.

Diablo I & II were guilty pleasures of mine. Not a chance in the world I'll shell out the purchace price if I am forced into an online arena.

butt

I'm not really reading it like that. I think its just more of a DRM system that needs a connection to call home constantly and without it you will be locked out. It's not forcing you play with other people just forcing you to communicate to a master server somewhere. Think steam but with no offline mode

The gist I got, but I haven't read into it

Yea I think they're referring to some sort of DRM. But what bugs me more would be buying items for real money.

not just items. i think toons as well. maybe that is just gold.....

if i wanted a game that required a constant internet connection....never mind i don't

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Delayed, but I'm new, so I'm necroposting.

Still buying this game, internet connection required..oh well, I'm always home, and have too much internet to find uses for my GB allowance.

I do get how they're screwing over a lot of people here, but I also get the where they're coming from. On the other hand...the obvious thing right here, is that they actually came up with a solution...yet aren't going to implement it?

Offline character...online character.

It's simple? Those who don't want to play online, use the 100% offline character, those who do, just create the "online" character. Which idiot from their dev team wrote that and didn't get that, seriously?

• 4 months later...
We're pleased to announce the Diablo III open beta weekend, which offers open access to all players with a valid Battle.net account! Beginning this Friday everyone is invited to log in and help us put the game and servers through their paces in this three day stress test as we march toward the game's release on May 15. You can begin downloading the Diablo III client right now!

From Friday, April 20 at 12:01 p.m. PDT (noon), until Monday, April 23 at 10:00 a.m. PDT you'll be able to log in, team up with friends, and play each of the five heroic classes to level 13 as you fight to save the world from the impending demonic invasion.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4963739/Diablo%C2%AE_III_Open_Beta_Weekend-4_19_2012#blog

• 4 weeks later...

Diablo III having some major server issues:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/05/15/the-web-responds-unhappily-to-diablo-3s-server-issues/?partner=yahootix

As the teams of valiant pit ponies powering Blizzard’s server network strain at their traces, the Internet is awash with unhappy talk of Error 37.

Game developer Dan Marshall of Size Five games offers a solution - or at least a rebrand

To clarify for anyone getting mixed up: Rule 34 is the rule that there is a site somewhere on the Internet dedicated to the erotic possibilities of literally any concept imaginable by the human mind.

Error 37 is the most common error encountered by frustrated gamers eager to get back to the land of Sanctuary. Therefore, according to Rule 34, somebody out there is putting up a website dedicated to the erotic possibilities of Error 37.

Same happened to BC2, CoD4 and others if I recall.

Just read this statement this morning

Battle.net announces the extended wait for Diablo III is now over, and the action/RPG sequel should now be available worldwide.

One thing I like Activision / Blizzard for is they release a game worldwide on the same day.

• 1 year later...