Curious...

SuperTaz

Getting people on your server is basically all up to the team/ clan who manage them.

Idling in players and announcing your server is the first step to get players on it, then comes good administration and some basic ground rules to keep the reputation up as a secondary.

When it comes to which Mod you would choose, this will also attract different type of players as well.

What mod would you say is the most liked?

Depends all on what you want to play, if you want more hardcore gamers and setting all in to a more of a team play game scene you chose ETPro, other vice I would go for ETPub to attract the masses. Do you play the game actually? If so you would most likely have played them both.

Start with the server name. It determines what type of people will join. What you name a server is the 1st thing someone sees when deciding if they want to join.

Server names:

Google aimbot: We all know who will join this one.

Gamers for Jesus: Who do you think will join this one?

Tokers and Shooters: Haa who will join.

OBJ rules: I want obj mined players.

John clan recruiting: People looking to join a clan

John box: John is a well known clan with a rep.

To build a base in your server you have to seed it. Even if it means sitting in spec with some friends. Start my joining the same time everyday. NO one likes bots!

You must have friendly admins. You must have admins plural. To keep the cheaters out. But the admins must be taught to have 100% proof. Baning or kicking based on what some admin thinks. Will empty your server of good players. You hear a lot about cheating in enemy-territory. But I keep and run clean servers. I wish I could take all the credit. But streaming and spending time teaching people how to be good admins helps.

I would not use etpro. Its a competition mod. Not a public mod. Most clans that have a few bucks use etpro on the 2nd server.

I keep it family orientated. No foul language. No accusing anyone of cheating without proof. So if you pwn me, and my clan. You can still join the server everyday. Sure we are going to check you, and your cvars out. But if your clean you keep coming back.

etpub, jaymod, noquarter is for public play. Enemy-territory is a well supported game by mod, and map makers. Although many of us who enjoy the wolfenstien games are waiting for the new game to come out. Hopefully in March 2009. I started in RTCW 1.33 late 2002. I have tried other games and saw the pitfalls with them.

Maps can drive people away. You have to decide what kind of players you want. I use competition maps, Std. maps, maps ported from RTCW, then a few customs sprinkled in. But you need to change the map rotation from time to time.

I have been gaming with friends I met in my 1st server for 4 to 5 years now. I have seen some come and go too. The idea is treat all with respect and give those in your clan things to do. Teach them about web sites, game servers. They are more than willing to give back, and all have fun cause it frees you up. They usually learn and know more than you do, after you get them started.

I once had a quit-a-thon Because two members got in a fight, and members picked sides. It happens. The clan split in two. So I was shit this sucks. I decided to go back to the 1st enemy-territory version 2.55. and call the server *Evil*Beginners. The idea was give back to the community, and teach new players about the game and recruit them. Teach them about scrimming, obj play, voice communications, all facets. My way of escaping from all the B.S going on inside the clan at the time.

They are no longer beginners and most are great players. We still call the server Evil Beginners. But now there must be 30 servers called beginners or more. I guess thats a compliment if they borrow your name.

The game has slowed, but will never die because its free. The leagues and league play as slowed too. Many are hoping that the new game in 2009 will be solid with good team obj game play. I liken my game (RTCW) to the father of 1st person shooters

You need any help let me know. Be glad to help you out bro.

Edited by EvilJohn

Ok...What is the folder name inside the ET main folder? Or do I upload the maps in the ETMain folder individually? And how do I make the server run those maps.

I am used to COD4. We had a folder called /usermaps/ and set the command line changer for a certain mod and the server did the rest.

Are there any good maps to download for this game and where do I download them from? Also, how do I set up the directories for the new maps. like this? etmain/usermaps/?

Best map site on the net http://www.enemyterritory-stuff.net/

Like John said, shoot him a PM. Anything you need to know he knows & he loves to help out. Seen him help several clans get their servers going.

Ok...What is the folder name inside the ET main folder? Or do I upload the maps in the ETMain folder individually? And how do I make the server run those maps.

I am used to COD4. We had a folder called /usermaps/ and set the command line changer for a certain mod and the server did the rest.

Put the maps (pk3) in your etmain. Then you need to set the rotation. There are example rotations that come with the server. They are stored in your etmain & are executed through your server config. Open your server.cfg & look for something like

/exec objectivecycle.cfg

Then open the objectivecycle.cfg & set the maps you want.

This guide should help you alot

http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/content/enemy_t...uide/index.html

Edited by ETL - evilzombie

Best map site on the net http://www.enemyterritory-stuff.net/

Like John said, shoot him a PM. Anything you need to know he knows & he loves to help out. Seen him help several clans get their servers going.

Yeah. I already gave him admin access to the server. However, I haven't heard from him since early this morning.

Here is my config. Which one is better? Campaign, Last man standing or objective?

// MAP ROTATION

exec campaigncycle.cfg // Campaign mode

//exec objectivecycle.cfg // Objective mode

//exec lmscycle.cfg // Last Man Standing mode

Yeah. I already gave him admin access to the server. However, I haven't heard from him since early this morning.

Ya he's a night owl, he'll be around :)

Here is my config. Which one is better? Campaign, Last man standing or objective?

Typically objective is best for public servers

Here is my current map rotation:

set d1 "set g_gametype 2 ; map oasis ; set nextmap vstr d2"

set d2 "set g_gametype 2 ; map battery ; set nextmap vstr d3"

set d3 "set g_gametype 2 ; map goldrush ; set nextmap vstr d4"

set d4 "set g_gametype 2 ; map radar ; set nextmap vstr d5"

set d5 "set g_gametype 2 ; map railgun ; set nextmap vstr d6"

set d6 "set g_gametype 2 ; map fueldump ; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d1

What are the "d" codes at the end of each one. They already have them in the beginning.

And do I have to upload these maps to my website so players can download them or will they be downloaded from the game server itself?

Edited by SuperTaz

If you're gonna run the stock maps for now, noone will need to download them.

When you start adding custom maps you'll need to upload the maps to a re-direct so players can download them at full speed. Usually GSP's limit download speeds from the server itself, and if they didn't it would cause a lot of lag for people playing if they were downloading directly off the server at full speed.

Edit the server.cfg located in the etmain folder to change these settings...

set sv_allowDownload "1" // global toggle for both legacy download and web download

set sv_wwwDownload "1" // toggle to enable web download

set sv_wwwBaseURL "http://tibet.clanservers.com" // base URL for redirection

Obviously change the "set sv_wwwBaseURL" var to reflect where you've uploaded your maps :P

Note: When you upload maps to your webspace, create a directory called "etmain" and put the maps in there. The server expects there to be an etmain directory, that's why it's not declared in "set sv_wwwBaseURL".

I use campaign mode which just basically plays the maps defined in a campaign file (.pk3), but all the maps are played in objective mode.

The "D" codes just identify the map and gametype you have created so that the variable "nextmap" will hold the details of the next map name and gametype for the server to follow.

Edited by McBain{TibeT}

Ok. I tried to set the server to the objective mode and it timed out the server. I followed the guid, but it still would not work. The only one it works on is Campaign. Can someone tell me why it does this?

Ok. I tried to set the server to the objective mode and it timed out the server. I followed the guid, but it still would not work. The only one it works on is Campaign. Can someone tell me why it does this?

post up ur objectivecycle.cfg

I added new maps. And these are the maps that I wanted to run:

set d1 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mp_vemork.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d2"

set d2 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mp_powcamp.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d3"

set d3 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mp_marketgarden.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d4"

set d4 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mp_icecastle.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d5"

set d5 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mp_horus.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d6"

set d6 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mp_bismarck.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d7"

set d7 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mk_temple.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d8"

set d8 "set g_gametype 2 ; map mk_floodedtown.pk3 ; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d1