Corrupted File/Memory [124008]

Galger

Hallo, here is our problem:

et 2.60b server, running NoQuarter mod, PunkBuster Server: PunkBuster Server (v1.701 | A1382 C2.144).

Punkbuster kicks almost everyone, who connects, with a reason : PunkBuster Server: RESTRICTION: PlayerNick (slot #) [GUID IP ] Corrupted File/Memory [124008]. What i've noticed, that only players with windows version of et and pb are affected, those who use, for example, linux (me and other admin) are able to connect and play without problems. And, one more strange thing - i've tested with a windows user, if he can join other serv - it was an etpro one - he hadn't such an error there.

Here is, what i've found:Crossfire1 Crossfire2 And our good friends.

It is somehow strange, if that friend of mine, with who we went on etpro serv had hack, than he might be kicked from there too, but it didn't occur. And, if cheat is detected, then the nessage of punkbuster would look completely in other way, uh? Do you have any thoughts - what it could be?

Saturday 11.22.2008 [11:45AM]

Version 1.727 of the PB Server for ET has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This is a maintenance release.

Snipped from the evenbalance.com website.

I would start with updating the pb version on your server, and then work from there.

From rcon, issue a /pb_sv_update command. Alternately, visit evenbalance.com and download the htm files and the lastest pbsvsec as well as pbsvnew.so file(linux servers) and upload them manually. Issue a /pb_sv_restart command from rcon, once the uploads are done.

I run Vista 64x Ultimate, and run the game as admin(right-click icon and choose from drop-down menu) and have no such issues.

Might want to ask those players(x-fire, or what-ever) what OS they are using, if you have contact with them. It may be different for different versions of Windows.

I also have this Corrupted File/Memory [124008] error everytime I try to log on to a server. I updated PunkBuster to 1.727 and completly uninstalled, deleted and reintalled Enemy Terriotry and still the same problem exists. It seems that no one has been able to fix this error in any online discussion form thus yet. Any suggestions, or should we just stop playing all together?

I also have this Corrupted File/Memory [124008] error everytime I try to log on to a server. I updated PunkBuster to 1.727 and completly uninstalled, deleted and reintalled Enemy Terriotry and still the same problem exists. It seems that no one has been able to fix this error in any online discussion form thus yet. Any suggestions, or should we just stop playing all together?

Yeah me too ... I tried it all;

Deleted whole ET (except ET key)

Checked register and virusses.

Updated PB.

Did memtest86 with Ubuntu; no errors.

Hope there will be solution soon ...

Grtz,

Viduus

• 2 weeks later...

this should only happin to people who use vista,,, or xp service pack3 (since it' the same as vista).. it happins to me repeatedly and yes it drives me nuts. just remember PB hates Vista, and almost any cvar scan will get you kicked for communication error or driver error... if they are running older windows and they are getting corrupt file kicks or communication kicks, i had one of my clan members delete his PB folder not his pb folder in the etmain but the one in the appdata folder and he seems to run great now. also on alot of the servers i found in you play minimzed you won't get kicked for driver error, i have no clue why this is, but swear it works..

Your players would need to be using the older version as well. Not a recommended idea, though.

No Quarter Wiki

A quote from the mentioned Wiki.

Most Important Note: Currently NQ 1.2.3 ist not supported by punkbuster which will hopefully fixed soon. Disable it for now otherwise windows user (only!) get kicked by Corrupted File/Memory [124008] error. We know this occures since last punkbuster update and all mods under development have this issue. We have created a trouble ticket at evenabalance, please do not spam their ticket system.

I personally wouldn't recommend disabling pb, but rather, revert back to an older, tried and tested version of no quarter, or what-ever mod it is you're using. I currently run nq version 1.1.1 and etpro 3.2.6 on my clan's servers with no such issue. Haven't run etpub in a while, but the mid 6. versions seemed to work pretty good.

@RoadWarrior

I did that NQ wiki entry directly after the new release as we didn't know there are servers out there (linux and windows boxes) running 1.2.3 and pb enabled.

It's curious I can't get my server running PB enabled without kicks. Disabling OB doesn't help either. Just no way.

@RoadWarrior

I did that NQ wiki entry directly after the new release as we didn't know there are servers out there (linux and windows boxes) running 1.2.3 and pb enabled.

It's curious I can't get my server running PB enabled without kicks. Disabling OB doesn't help either. Just no way.

but u can do that waiting for a punk update

pb_sv_restrictions setting 0

seems be fine so far

Thursday 12.4.2003 [5:00PM]

Version 1.061 of the PB Server for ET has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This version includes a new PunkBuster facility called PB Restrictions. By default, PB Restrictions are Enabled; the pb_sv_restrictions setting may be set to 0 by server admins who do not wish for PB to kick for PB Restrictions. Kicking for PB Restrictions will be announced to players that join PB servers in the "WARNING: PB Kicks for ... All PB Restrictions on this server" message shortly after joining a server where PB Restrictions are Enabled. Initially, this facility will only work properly on Internet based PB Servers but will be extended to LAN servers in a future update. We expect to activate PB Restriction logging/kicking after the next PB Client update. Players who are kicked for a PB Restriction will be notified of the reason they were kicked. Additionally, PB Restrictions will be logged on all PB Servers even when kicking is disabled.

In general, the PB Restriction facility represents a tighter set of parameters for playing on PB Servers. A player who fails a PB Restriction check should not necessarily be considered a cheater, so we advise PB Admins to consider initial PB kicks for restrictions to be warnings to the players who are kicked so that they may either honor the restriction by correcting their setup or play on other servers. However, we also encourage PB admins to deal with repeat offenders of PB Restrictions as they see fit. The initial group of restrictions will deal with unusual opengl32.dll access or hooking. Players whose systems do not return proper information about the game using a single opengl32.dll system file will be considered restricted by this new facility (Note: Anyone still trying to play PB games running under Windows NT v4 is going to be considered restricted by default). Future updates may require the most current version of DirectX/display drivers to be installed, etc. We will gladly accept and consider suggestions for future restriction possibilities from the community via email to [email protected].

Release Notes for PB Server v1.061:

new pb_sv_restrictions setting defaults to 1 (which means kicking for PB Restrictions is Enabled)

addressed bug in Linux PB Server that caused PB to not be able to restart itself (such as after an update) on some Linux servers

• 1 month later...

pb_sv_restrictions 0

Didn't work for my NQ 1.2.3 server.

Is there any update on this situation ?

Edited by {GTB} Granny

pb_sv_restrictions 0

Didn't work for my NQ 1.2.3 server.

Is there any update on this situation ?

My settings on a Linux Server with 1.2.3 didn't work with pb_sv_restrictions 0 on either...

then I turned off venom & increased my server memory allocation... problem magically went away.. not sure which one made the difference, i'll go with venom.. turn it off... see what happens

I'd say the venom, since it increases the entities on the server.

Rule of thumb, with NQ, is that a lot of server admin tend to "over do it" a tad bit by turning on all the "toys".

A lot of issues go away with removal of such things as the venom, to many med/ammo packs being dropped on death, to many weapons left lying around for to long, etc.

Not necessarily related to the above kick-issue, but you'll definitely notice less server lag.

I'd say the venom, since it increases the entities on the server.

Rule of thumb, with NQ, is that a lot of server admin tend to "over do it" a tad bit by turning on all the "toys".

A lot of issues go away with removal of such things as the venom, to many med/ammo packs being dropped on death, to many weapons left lying around for to long, etc.

Not necessarily related to the above kick-issue, but you'll definitely notice less server lag.

I will give that a go tomorrow.

It would be nice if admins could choose what they wanted pb to kick for.

I'm not interested in anyone who has a corrupted file memory (whatever that is), or hunk alloc problems (whatever that is).

I just want to stop people using aimbots and wallhacks etc on my server, so they can't spoil the fun for everyone else.

Seems to me that it is over complicated.

I will give that a go tomorrow.

It would be nice if admins could choose what they wanted pb to kick for.

I'm not interested in anyone who has a corrupted file memory (whatever that is), or hunk alloc problems (whatever that is).

I just want to stop people using aimbots and wallhacks etc on my server, so they can't spoil the fun for everyone else.

Seems to me that it is over complicated.

You can choose what you want to ban for if you edit the pbsv.cfg / pbsvuser.cfg --- however, when the above problems occur its like an undefined error... PB just fires that message out because something is wrong, but it just doesnt really know what. I know the hunk alloc problem can be mostly be resolved by getting your players to /set com_hunkmegs 128

additionally i think you should not pick and choose things to ban or not to ban for... the best way to reduce cheating and keep fairplay is to stay united on what is and is not acceptable among as many servers as possible.

PB just fires that message out because something is wrong, but it just doesnt really know what.

Well PBBans has united us, but the statement above enforces my point I think.

I have read all the MOD forums over the years and it seems that they all agree that PB is not what it used to be (and that is putting it politely)

The NQ guys have even removed it completely from their servers.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys it's working now for my server ...

in server.cfg under pb_sv_enable I added pb_sv_restrictions 0 check my server HERE it's running on windows - Noquarter 1.2.3 with PB ON ...

Also disabled venom and goomba ... and put set g_dropAmmo 2 set g_dropHealth 2

after 1 hour testing and 3 maps later no more kick :)

• Upvote 1