Can't run cod4 - pb issue

effectiv

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I've been at this literally all night (6:20am now) and still can't run it.

I've run all the legacy pb files. I can get into the game for a few seconds sometimes and then it locks up and I have to kill the process. Other times I can hear music but can't move my mouse. Other times it just shows a blank screen and I can hear the music start but it stops soon after and I have to kill the process.

I know this is a pb issue because if i delete my pb folder and make a new profile in the game and choose to disable pb, everything is 100% fine.

Things I've tried from googling:

Enabling stereo mixer

Deleting the "miles" folder in cod4 directory

Launching the game in administrator mode

Launching the game from the actual directory

Unplugged and replugged microphone back in as well as headphone cable

Reinstalled windows

Reinstalled cod4

Verified integrity of game files through steam both before and after using legacy pb files

System specs are well above what are required and I'm not overclocking anything.

I honestly have no clue where to go from here. Anyone have any idea? I've played about 1000 hours of this game and thought I may try playing it again because it's so fun, but this is really starting to make me mad.

Edited by effectiv

Thanks for the quick reply, but the legacy files didn't do anything for me, I still have the same problem.

I did notice that I could move my mouse around and go through the menu's for about a minute until my game froze again though. So maybe that's getting somewhere.

Verified integrity of game files through steam both before and after using legacy pb files

weird

have you tried launching from directory with out steam running?

i have cod4 installed here C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

weird

have you tried launching from directory with out steam running?

i have cod4 installed here C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

Tried it and have the same issue. Frozen on startup, can see menus but the fog isn't moving and I can't move my mouse. All I hear is the music.

Make sure your directx and graphics drivers are up-to-date.

They are. Edited first post to clarify what I've tried and my current system.

Alright nevermind, I guess I posted it too long ago to edit it.

System:

Intel Core i7 4770k. (Not overclocked.)

16GB Corsair memory. (Not overclocked.)

GTX 560ti. (Not overclocked.)

Corsair 650w power supply

MSI G45 Z87 gaming motherboard.

Corsair H100i.

1TB hard drive.

+All of the drivers are up to date, even re installed some.

+I tried disabling sound altogether because some sources said that most of the iw3mp crashes are due to issues with sound drivers that have been occurring since the game came out.

+I tried changing the PB files in Start > Search > Services to allow it to cooperate with the desktop.

I'll note again that whenever I DELETE PUNKBUSTER and select the option not to use it, my game is PERFECTLY fine. It's ONLY when PB is enabled/installed that I have the issue.

Edited by effectiv

• 3 weeks later...

You played on a PBBans protected server on May 7, 2014 so I assume you have resolved your issue.

If you would like to share your fix it may help someone else out in the future who experiences a similar issue :)

• 1 month later...