Call Of Duty4 - Failure:pnkBstrB.exe driver failure[PnkBstrK.sys]ffab

clueless10

Can someone please help. Ive scanned forums to no avail. I get the following message as a reason for being kicked from all PB enabled Call Of Duty 4 servers ;

Restriction:Service Communication

Failure:PnkBstrB.exe driver failure[PnkBstrK.sys] ffab.

I have both PnkBstrA and B allowed through my firewalls. Have updated PB manually with the PB updater programme linked in this site and still does not work. When I run the Test i get the following ( ihave changed text colour to red to highlight the error, BUT it still shows Test completed with no errors when its finished which is wierd) ;

Starting PunkBuster Service Installer (v0.986) (12/27/07 21:32:01)

Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 2) 32-bit

Starting PunkBuster Service Tests (v0.986) (12/27/07 21:32:04)

Checking OS

Checking PnkBstrA service status RUNNING

Checking PnkBstrA Version OK (1029)

Extracting "PnkBstrB.exe" to:

"D:\Documents and Settings\madgamer\Application Data\PnkBstrB.exe"

OK

Checking firewall settings OFF

Is PnkBstrA explicitly allowed?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe YES

Is PnkBstrB explicitly allowed?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe YES

Checking if PnkBstrB is running STOPPED

Getting port for PnkBstrA OK (44301)

Opening socket for packet send OK

Sending version packet to PnkBstrA SENT

Receiving version from PnkBstrA OK

Received 6 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301

Response = 7140 (ms) Version = v1029

Getting PnkBstrB install instance OK

Sending start packet to PnkBstrA SENT

Waiting for packet from PnkBstrA OK

Received 3 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301

Response = 11890 (ms) PnkBstrB started.

Load SUCCESSFUL.

Watching for PnkBstrB instance change (371) CHANGED (372)

Getting port for PnkBstrB OK (45301)

Sending version packet to PnkBstrB SENT

Receiving version from PnkBstrB OK

Received 5 bytes from 127.0.0.1:45301

Response = 3000 (ms) Version = 1806

Checking PnkBstrK driver status STOPPED

Deleting PnkBstrK ERROR

Checking PnkBstrK driver status STILL FOUND (driver status 1)

Extracting new PnkBstrK to:

"D:\Documents and Settings\madgamer\Application Data\PnkBstrK.sys"

OK

Sending load packet to PnkBstrB SENT

Checking PnkBstrK driver status STOPPED

Deleting PnkBstrK ERROR

Checking PnkBstrK driver status STILL FOUND (driver status 1)

Manually stopping PnkBstrB STOPPED

Removing test PnkBstrB file OK

Also the log for PnkbstrB shows this :

2.27.2007 18:42:21] Log File emptied due to size

[12.27.2007 18:42:21] PnkBstrB v2.032 (COD4) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[12.27.2007 18:42:27] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffac)

[12.27.2007 18:42:33] PnkBstrB v2.032 (COD4) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[12.27.2007 18:43:00] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffac)

[12.27.2007 18:43:06] PnkBstrB v2.032 (COD4) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[12.27.2007 18:43:12] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffac)

[12.27.2007 18:48:12] PnkBstrB v2.032 (COD4) Service Attempting Unload. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[12.27.2007 21:30:38] PnkBstrB v1.806 (PBSVC) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[12.27.2007 21:30:49] Attempting Component Load [PnkBstrK][drivers\][PnkBstrK.sys]

[12.27.2007 21:30:49] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffac)

[12.27.2007 21:30:49] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffab)

[12.27.2007 21:32:13] PnkBstrB v1.806 (PBSVC) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[12.27.2007 21:32:27] Attempting Component Load [PnkBstrK][drivers\][PnkBstrK.sys]

[12.27.2007 21:32:27] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffac)

[12.27.2007 21:32:27] WARNING: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to Register Service (ffab)

Thats about the length of it. Hopefully someone can please help, playing CoD4 on the disabled PB servers is driving me nutz, I dislike hackers and only wish to play on a PB enabled site.

Many thanks to whomever can sort this one out.

On a way outside chance....

Deleting PnkBstrK ERROR <----- you could check the attributes of that file maybe it got set read only some how and can't over wright with a fresh updated copy?

Hey,

Why are this files stored in the Application Data folder ?

This files should be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 for the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB.exe and concerning the PnkBstrK.sys it should be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

I may be wrong but I never noticed that this files were somewhere else :blink:

PnkBstrA.exe is a running Windows Service. PnkBsterB.exe is a Windows service that gets exec'd by A when you log into a PunkBuster game.

Copies are found in the Win32\sys\drivers folder as well as your game(s) PB folder(s). Each Punkbuster game you have installed will have a copy, while the sys folder will only have one copy of each.

"D:\Documents and Settings\madgamer\Application Data\PnkBstrK.sys"

Kind of looks like he installed to his desk top instead of making a folder for it Patachon. It's a common mistake but should still work, just he has a mess of PB stuff on the desk top.

I've had to help a few people who make the mistake of running the PBUpdate.exe from the folder they downloaded it to. It's apparently a fairly common mistake.

It's fine to download it to one location, but if you've got several games installed, or even just one game, move the file to your game's install directory and particularly to it's PB folder, and then run it.

I've personally chosen to run it from each installed game singularly, rather than letting it detect all PB games, just in case any of the files are different per game that may end up causing conflicts, and I feel that is the best method for others as well.

I've personally chosen to run it from each installed game singularly, rather than letting it detect all PB games, just in case any of the files are different per game that may end up causing conflicts, and I feel that is the best method for others as well.

Thats not a bad idea at all, little more work but could save some troubles.

:D Many thanks to you. I have moved the complete folder into the install, PB folder and its working fine.

I thought i found a work around by deleting the pnkbstrk file, which was fine until i installed Crysis as well, with multiple PBs the same error came up, but after following your advice and doing updates/installs from individual install folders its working like a dream.

Happy New Year to you.

Glad it's working. Many have probably seen this issue in the past, and my personal advice on the PB install has always been the same since the new system came around, and perhaps that idea needs to be broken down and stickied here and else-where.

Install the pbsetup.exe in a given game's pb folder, and update per-game, rather than trying update all games from one.

I've got 4 current pb-supported games installed, and run pbsetup for each one individually, and have had no issues. BF2, Enemy Territory, Call of Duty 4 and Enemy Territory:Quake Wars.

Edited by RoadWarrior

Whatever suits you best guys :)

I have atm RTCW / ET / ETQW / COD4 installed.

When pbsetup.exe was first released I created a folder on my desktop, called it pbsetup and I run it from there.

I run pbsetup before every gaming session and have never had any type of pb problem what so ever, the only warnings I have ever received were for the odd cvar infraction (set by the server admin) or the server was running an older version of pb.

PB services I have not had any probs with either although my son who is on the same network had to allow the services to run when his firewall asked the question :)

• 3 weeks later...

im having the same problem except its for Crysis, heres what i get when i get on.

Starting PunkBuster Service Tests (v0.986) (01/18/08 12:59:33)

Checking OS

Checking PnkBstrA service status RUNNING

Checking PnkBstrA Version OK (1029)

Extracting "PnkBstrB.exe" to:

"C:\DOCUME~1\CALEBT~1\Application Data\PnkBstrB.exe"

OK

Checking firewall settings OFF

Is PnkBstrA explicitly allowed?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe YES

Is PnkBstrB explicitly allowed?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe YES

Checking if PnkBstrB is running NOT RUNNING

Getting port for PnkBstrA OK (44301)

Opening socket for packet send OK

Sending version packet to PnkBstrA SENT

Receiving version from PnkBstrA OK

Received 6 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301

Response = 10453 (ms) Version = v1029

Getting PnkBstrB install instance NOT FOUND

Sending start packet to PnkBstrA FAILED

Waiting for packet from PnkBstrA TIMEOUT

Watching for PnkBstrB instance change (0) TIMEOUT

Getting port for PnkBstrB FAILED

Sending version packet to PnkBstrB SENT

Receiving version from PnkBstrB TIMEOUT

Checking PnkBstrK driver status NOT FOUND

Extracting new PnkBstrK to:

"C:\DOCUME~1\CALEBT~1\Application Data\PnkBstrK.sys"

OK

Sending load packet to PnkBstrB SENT

Checking PnkBstrB driver status

its been sitting there for over an hour now...so idk wat to do any more, so if ya could tell me something, that would b great.

• 1 year later...

hi i am having the same problm but every other file is ok But it says i dont have the file PnkBstrK.sys do i need to download it or what i have tried the reinstall thing for pb but it doesnt work all it says if file PnkBstrK.sys not found everything otherfile comes up with ok

someone pls help ?????????????????????????????????????????/

:unsure:

--------------------

PaRkOuR

• 2 months later...

I don't know if anyone is still having the PnkBstrB driver failure for PnkBstrK.sys but I was able to resolve my issues. I was getting booted out of BF2142 from every server due to an error involving the .sys file. This is the error message I received:

"RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrB.exe driver failure (PnkBstrK.sys) ffao"

and here is what I did to fix the problem:

I found PnkBsterK.sys in the System32\Drivers\ folder and tried to delete it since I noticed it was only 22kb. The file that pbsvc or pbsetup had been installing for PnkBstrK.sys was 136kb, but it was installing to the C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\ folder which conveniently was hidden but I was able to get to it using the explorer address bar. I was unable to delete the 22kb file in windows even after ending some processes and even stopping the PnkBstrA.exe service. So, I started up in safe mode and replaced the 22kb .sys file with the 136kb .sys file. This solved the problem and I can play Battlefield 2142 with no problems at all now.

Please spread the word as I suspect this can happen to a lot of people using Vista.

Good luck.