Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

MaydaX

still the same engine after all these years....

The funny part about that comment is many other games use the same engine too. Valve still uses the Source engine, many games still use the Unreal 3 engine, many game use the id tech 4 (Doom3 engine), the list goes on and on.

All the engines are modified to include newer technologies and to suit the game.

The funny part about that comment is many other games use the same engine too. Valve still uses the Source engine, many games still use the Unreal 3 engine, many game use the id tech 4 (Doom3 engine), the list goes on and on.

All the engines are modified to include newer technologies and to suit the game.

To be fair, everybody complains about the Unreal 3 engine, I don't think you can search for Unreal 3 without also seeing someone mention AA.

The Source engine on the other hand, goes through many upgrades, it's more akin to maybe what DICE is doing with frostbite where theres frostbite 1, 1.5 and now 2. Except it's been around the block a lot more.

As far as I know Valve has only released the SDK for Source 2003, and hasn't done the same for the 2007 version with the improvements you find in many of their modern titles.

I haven't read into the engine that COD4 uses so I'm not sure if it is the same way or not.

Activision is planning Call Of Duty Elite, a subscription-based service for console gamers to launch alongside Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 this November, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.

The WSJ report notes that Activision "plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new Call of Duty levels to play."

According to the available information, the monthly cost will be less than other online subscription services such as Netflix, which charges $7.99, and "portions of the service will be free".

The service will be billed separately to existing hardware company-charged subscriptions such as the multiplayer enabling Xbox Live Gold, or the more content-specific PlayStation Plus service.

The article also cites Jamie Berger, Activision's vice president of digital for Call of Duty, as saying the company has "seven million daily players of the game who spend, on average, about seven full days a year playing the game against others online."

Gamasutra was also briefed on Activision's plans for Call Of Duty Elite. A larger article on the service, which is announced just ahead of next week's key E3 trade show in Los Angeles, will debut in the near future.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34905/WSJ_Activision_To_Launch_Call_Of_Duty_Elite_Subscription_With_Modern_Warfare_3.php

yep, "free"

just if you want decent weapons, perks, etc; pay up

so many games "free" promised "no gameplay effecting purchaseables"

now they don't even bother to say that.

now you have to purchase the freaking game. and then it is "free"

just know that you can get mop-handle raped if you want to play without paying extra.....:eek:

If the monthly subs are successful wonder how long before EA and other major publishers copy it. Didn't take them long to copy MW2 $60 PC price tag.

If the monthly subs are successful wonder how long before EA and other major publishers copy it. Didn't take them long to copy MW2 $60 PC price tag.

Don't forget required Steamworks for retail CD games.

Sounds like World of Warcraft rubbed off on them already with the monthly subscription fees for COD. All Activision sees is $$$$. They are trying to please their shareholders in any way they can, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25TH_suHOhk

Many high res images of the cod elite interface shown in the video can be seen at

http://kotaku.com/5806775/

Looks a lot like the steam website ui.

Beta signups are now available at http://www.callofduty.com/elite

Black Ops already has a subscription method. I'm paying for my next 2 months' service this week, $15. :icon_smirk:
ukHazard

btw, spawnkilling via wall spam happens way more than that

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43225160?__source=yahoo|headline|quote|text|&par=yahoo

Due to launch this fall alongside "Modern Warfare 3," the next installment in the series, "Elite" will not only give players access to downloadable content for the game, but will offer in-depth tracking of player statistics and an advanced matchmaking service, letting people play multiplayer games with friends or opponents with similar skills.

Another matchmaking game. Hopefully this is only for the consoles and not PC.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43225160?__source=yahoo|headline|quote|text|&par=yahoo

Another matchmaking game. Hopefully this is only for the consoles and not PC.

Taz, why you think this would EVER be made differently for PCs after previous COD games I have no idea. OH ya, where are those mod tools for Black Ops again? LOL

Edited by Piggy

http://kotaku.com/5805959/the-modern-warfare-3-files-team-perks-no-nukes-new-killstreaks

We've also learned, unfortunately, that this latest Call of Duty still won't support dedicated servers, instead relying on the hosted servers found in previous iterations of the game. Dedicated servers were removed from the Modern Warfare games starting with Modern Warfare 2. (Modern Warfare 3 appears to be using DemonWare for player authentication, just like with Call of Duty: Black Ops.)

If there are no dedicated servers they can stick it up their a$$. I will wait for the over 50% off sale to buy it for SP.

Also dislike the idea of them using DemonWare since Black Ops studders when doing anything stats related.

If there are no dedicated servers they can stick it up their a$. I will wait for the over 50% off sale to buy it for SP.

Also dislike the idea of them using DemonWare since Black Ops studders when doing anything stats related.

demonware is not broken....it was never finished. i read somewhere it was developed for PS3 game and ACTVI scooped up the little company before they ever finished it

then it got abused in codww and raped in mw2 and now it will be drawn and quartered for mw3

No dedicated servers = Not buying! <_>

Black Ops is the last COD series, I bought. No dedicated server files, no money.

I even never bought any DLC crap. They are forgetting one thing. WoW is based on level and people can keep doing same thing for there lifetime. In any COD series they can't because how many perks they are going to add? Once the level is reached, players will start getting bored.

It would work in the beginning but in long run, I doubt it.

Activision thanks EA for 'helping to build Modern Warfare 3 hype'

"EA might talk about our games in the press more than we do," says publishing boss

EA's talked up its chances of stealing Call of Duty market share this year with Battlefield 3, with CEO John Riccitiello going as far as to say DICE's game has been "designed to take down" its rival. And while Hirshberg acknowledges Call of Duty faces "tough competition" every year, he told MCV that Activision's more focused on producing a quality product than on what its rivals are doing.

"When you are in the number one position you have a lot of people gunning for you," he said. "It sounds trite but it's true: we focus on what we need to do to make the best games we can.

"We don't pay much mind looking at what the competitors are doing. I know they are focused on us... well that's all I'll say." Except it wasn't all he said.

"Well, I think EA might talk about our games in the press more than we do," Hirshberg added. "So, the first thing I say to them is 'Thanks for the assistance in building awareness.'

"But when you think about it, we've had tough competition every year for Call of Duty. It's never been easy. This is one of the most competitive genres in one of the most competitive industries.

"Last year we had Halo: Reach and Medal of Honor, and it's not like they weren't amazing developers gunning for the top of this mountain either," he continued. "And it's the same this year - Gears of War is back along with lots of other games.

"So, of course, we take all the competition really seriously. But at the end of the day I really mean it when I say we are focusing on the finish line, not the competition. We are making the best game we can, and are throwing every resource, innovation and all the creativity we can at it. And hopefully that will maintain our position."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304312/news/activision-thanks-ea-for-helping-to-build-modern-warfare-3-hype/

I have received this from Rob (Fourzerotwo) tonight, debunking the Kotaku article but also stating that MW3 is not finalized enough for an answer:

"I'd love to give you a firm answer on dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 3 but at this time we have not finalized multiplayer enough on any platform to make such confirmations. At this time, it remains undetermined but I hope to have an answer for our PC fans as soon as possible and long before our release date so that they can make an informed decision on MW3. I will say that we have already debunked much of that article. I encourage fans not to get too focused on speculation and wait for official confirmation."

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1301&Itemid=78