Battlefield 3

MaydaX

The publisher confirmed to the media it will host an unveil event for the game on Mar. 1, 2011, taking place during the week of the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Additionally, EA says it will also have new game announcements as well as hands-on time with many upcoming titles, including: Shadows of the Damned, Alice Madness Returns, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, and Crysis 2.

Those who purchased the Limited Edition of Medal of Honor this past fall received an invitation to the Battlefield 3 beta. Details about the beta's release date have not been announced.

Battlefield 3 is expected to ship in 2011.

Be sure to check back with IGN for all the latest from GDC.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143319p1.html

Will be paying attention to what they have to say, but wont be pre-sale duped w/ EA/DICE promo trailers ever again.

Hopefully BF3 will have a demo recorder, or I am out. (sorry for the broken record on that one)

Butt

PS, and truly wishful thinking on my part. But if EA is going to stay w/ EB for their anti-cheat, it would make many ppl happy if they would spend half a day and teach Even Ballance how to fix/re-work the pb_ss failure issue. Even if it meant using a different utility to make the screen capture.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, a cynical group around here. I, for one, am hoping this title will live up to it's name. I also hope they don't join the rest and use that piece of crap known as Vac. Keep the tradition going and stick with PB. It has it's flaws, but it works well enough. I think Vac is ghostware and doesn't really do anything at all.

Lol, a cynical group around here. I, for one, am hoping this title will live up to it's name. I also hope they don't join the rest and use that piece of crap known as Vac. Keep the tradition going and stick with PB. It has it's flaws, but it works well enough. I think Vac is ghostware and doesn't really do anything at all.

we are not cynical, just tired of getting rogered without a kiss or a polite reach around

i doubt i will get worked up over another game until D3 drops

hell, killing floor was one of the best games in the last few years and no one even knows it

*edit*

and PB might as well be ghostware......

Edited by HSMagnet

Gameinformer March cover-BATTLEFIELD 3. [64 players- PC, 24 players-Console]

The franchise that revolutionized online multiplayer for PC games is back.

In our world-exclusive cover story, Game Informer unveils the first numbered entry in the Battlefield series since 2005. Many longtime fans are wondering, "what took so long?!" DICE has honed the concept for the true sequel for years, but it wasn't until the company developed the powerful new Frostbite 2 engine that it felt all the pieces were in place to create a proper follow-up. Armed with powerful upgrades like deferred rendering, real-time radiosity, a new animation system borrowed from the EA Sports label, and an exponential leap in destructibility, executive producer Patrick Bach dubs Frostbite 2 "the best piece of technology on the market when it comes to building games."

http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showthread.php?90796-Gameinformer-March-cover-BATTLEFIELD-3.-64-players-PC-24-players-Console

I'm watching this very closely, it sounds fantastic but so did MOH and that's hardly been played since I bought it.

If they get it right I think it will outsell MW2, if they get it wrong it will just be another forgotten game to add to the list of many.

@ HSMagnet

Killing Floor is an excellent game and the Christmas update was a nice addition.

Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign

Will be interesting to see whos sales win out this holiday season -

BF3 vs. CoD

I bet CoD could be in troubble this year.

Butt

too bad that means nothing as far as whether or not a game is worth a damn

too bad that means nothing as far as whether or not a game is worth a damn

After Black Ops nets over a billion, I thought it was a valid observation to make.

Wasn't going to point out the obvious with my post, but when "prone" is your #2 hook - in your first promo, your in troubble.

I am sure DICE will find new and creative ways to f*ck up their golden goose. Features get traded for eye candy. Hope I am wrong, and will gladly eat my words should they actually deliver a working, worthwhile product on launch.

Butt

Edited by buttscratcher

After Black Ops nets over a billion, I thought it was a valid observation to make.

Wasn't going to point out the obvious with my post, but when "prone" is your #2 hook - in your first promo, your in troubble.

I am sure DICE will find new and creative ways to f*ck up their golden goose. Features get traded for eye candy. Hope I am wrong, and will gladly eat my words should they actually deliver a working, worthwhile product on launch.

Butt

there are enough people that just buy anything with CoD on it to keep them laughing for a few more years

and yeah if prone is your big deal you will get responses like

lion the tiger In BF3 you're going to be able to go PRONE!!!!!!!!!!!! PRONE! Seriously! Groundbreaking! Why hasn't anyone ever done that before?!?!?

Oh look paid DLC info before the game even gets released.

bf3dlc.png

If you pre-order it's free, if you didn't you have to pay extra. No wonder gaming has gone to shit.

• Upvote 4

bf3dlc.png

If you pre-order it's free, if you didn't you have to pay extra. No wonder gaming has gone to shit.

wait....didn't they blast IW for basically the same thing?

BF2 Boosters, MoH Hotzone, BC2 Vietnam, MW2 Map Packs (I can't confirm since I do not own them to get a count) all split the player base.

Stats for Game: BFBC2-PC

-- Stock Servers = 5,404 (15,339 players)

-- Vietnam Servers = 1,811 (1,722 players)

Stats for Game: BFBC2-360

-- Stock Servers = 2,529 (4,476 players)

-- Vietnam Servers = 608 (785 players)

Stats for Game: BFBC2-PS3

-- Stock Servers = 2,942 (7,614 players)

-- Vietnam Servers = 534 (799 players)

Generated on February 4, 2011 at 7:02:05 AM EST

Stats for Game: BFBC2-PC

-- Stock Servers = 5,401 (13,830 players)

-- Vietnam Servers = 1,813 (2,030 players)

Stats for Game: BFBC2-360

-- Stock Servers = 2,668 (12,608 players)

-- Vietnam Servers = 576 (2,377 players)

Stats for Game: BFBC2-PS3

-- Stock Servers = 2,992 (11,628 players)

-- Vietnam Servers = 523 (1,408 players)

Generated on February 4, 2011 at 9:02:35 PM EST

Just funny seeing people defend the pre-orders. Guess I'm one of few that remember all the "Boycott BF2SF / BF2142 until BF2 is fixed" banners and all the "fix the lag / crashing" posts. With that and after CoDBO, I will NEVER pre-order a game again. Been burned too many times.

From the Game Informer article:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release

-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together

-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written

-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.

-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.

-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.

-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets

-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus

-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism

-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats

-Plan on better, more immediate post release content

-More unlocks than BFBC2

-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"

-4 classes

-Will talk about squads "later"

-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it

-Will have co-op

-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off

-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2

-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.

-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.

-"f*ck" will be used often, so M rated for sure

-There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done

-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode

-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game

-PC version is lead version

-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.

-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421095

bf3dlc.png

I can see where this game's headed before it's even out :(

I also agree MaydaX, no pre-order from me either, not anymore.

DICE says it's "learnt its lesson" following Battlefield: Bad Company 2's sparse DLC schedule - and it won't make the same mistakes with just-announced Battlefield 3.

Speaking in the latest issue of US retail mag Game Informer, DICE exec producer Patrick Bach acknowledged that not releasing a new map pack for six months saw the Bad Company 2 community drop off drastically.

"To be honest, Bad Company 2 was a bigger success than we anticipated," he admitted. "We did not account for that. We sold a lot of copies and don't feel bad about where we were, but looking back, we should have released more, bigger content after."

He added: "We were more successful with our approach then anticipated. We didn't think most people would hit level 22 to be honest, and especially so fast. Our calculations on how much people would play to hit level 20, 25, 50 were completely wrong. We thought people wouldn't play that much."

For Battlefield 3, says Bach, DICE will properly prepare for post-release content to keep the community occupied.

"We've learnt our lesson now, and have a lot of really interesting plans for how to keep the attention of the players. We can do better in that area," he said.

"The challenge is to build a game, and then have more people coming on before the project is done to start building extra content because it takes a lot of time to get stuff out."

There will be "a lot more to unlock", Bach promises, "not only weapons and other treats, but we have more things that you can unlock than in Bad Company 2. We're also making sure that there is a reason for you to reach top rank," he said.

Battlefield 3 will feature 64-player multiplayer on PC and 24-players on console.

More details arrived via the US mag this morning, including news that PC is being treated as the lead platform for the EA game.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287746/news/battlefield-3-dice-has-learnt-lesson-from-bc2-dlc-mistakes/

*sigh* More unlocks. Why not just give people aimbots and be done with it because massive amounts of unlocks, leaderboards etc just encourages more cheating of people who want to get all the unlocks. That is a big turn off for me.

I'm still annoyed with BC2 that vehicle basic functions are unlocks like armor, alt weapon and smoke counter measures. So in BF3 will I have to unlock the shell ammo for the tank or 2nd gear for the Humvee now?

I think prestige mode is the best answer for both sides. People who don't care for ranks can unlock everything rather quickly while the people who do can prestige to keep them happy.